AC idler pulley question

mteg

Automatic Lover
Last year my idler pulley fell off (I hear that this a frequent problem). Anyways, I have the pulley and bracket but am having trouble sourcing the bolt that attaches the bracket to the block. I'm not interested in running without AC this summer. Does anyone know what size bolt this is? Is this something I have to go to a honda dealer for, or could I get one from a hardware store.

Rx_phil

awsome..
quick question my bolt broke off and its stuck inside any idea of getting it off?

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
I'm missing the whole damn arm and pulley on mine, need to get it fixed before it starts getting hot too.
the ac in my car is broken beyond my will to repair and i have the arm, pulley, and bolt. PM if your interested

awsome..
quick question my bolt broke off and its stuck inside any idea of getting it off?
try going to a hardware store and getting a bolt exraction kit, you will have to drill out a little of the bolt and use the bit and it should pull it right out

Rx_phil

hold up im not really sure if it broke inside... i just looked and their was anthor hole for a bolt..
anyone have any good picture of the ac idler pulley setup?
thanks

pat_jamNtoast

this is way different
ill send you a pic of mine rx_phil pm me your number
im actually replacing my ac idler/tensioner pulley today,mofo is squealing like no other.let me find out thats what made my powersteering fluid start leaking!last night pulley started squealing super loud and i parked car for a few mins.come back to start it and it starts but died soon after. there was p/s fluid all over my hood,belts,vc,fans,cai,abs,hids!:cussing:
i drained all fluid and rinsed off the belts with degreaser (dishsoap)+water...works great
now im hoping that is all i need to replace...should i replace anything other than ac pulley while my p/s pump and reservoir are out of way?! it is hot in h-town!

mjones73

Just upload the pics to photobucket or a comparable service and post them here please.

I can have some in a couple days, I got the parts I need, just need to order a new pulley and I'll be ready to put it back on the car....

mjones73

Ugh, I just got the arm back on mine, what a pain in the ass. Tomorrow I get to undo the torque mount so I can get the belt around it and actually find out if my AC works...

Rx_phil

sweet take some pics
i really do think my bolt is broke off inside so it will be a pain in the ass to get that bolt off

mjones73

I'll try, it's a tight fit to even get a camera in there. If I have a chance I'll snap some today and put them up. It's a pretty simple set up and you should be able to see if there is a bolt stuck in the bracket.

Here's a good diagram here, the bolt hole goes clear through the bracket so if you can't see straight through then something is stuck in there. The hole in question is where bolt 23 goes in.

Last edited:

Rx_phil

ohh ok i see now. now i know for sure my bolt is still stuck inside
any ideas on how to remove that bolt so i can install a new one thanks

Rx_phil

alright got my bolt and belt (btw bolt cost me 11 bucks at acura dealership) anyways goin to take my compressor off and then bracket to get the broken bolt off and then put everything back together this saturday cant wait lol

mjones73

Is there enough sticking out that you can get a pair of vice grips on it? It would probably be easier taking the whole bracket out if you can. Replace the torque mount if it needs it while you have it out, otherwise just leave it bolted to the bracket and remove the two bolts holding it to the frame.

Rx_phil

na their wasnt enough thread comin out. i took the compressor off then bracket then i was lucky enough to it chisel it outta there. the put everything back toghther. ac is back on!