Peeling paint fix

sylvaner01

Hey guys!

If there is one thing I hate looking at, its an Integra with crappy paint. You know the kind, peeling, flaking..
Well recently my Integra came up with that exact problem, the clear coat was starting to flake and peel away, I couldnt even look at it anymore because it was actually sad to look at.
This peeling was caused by the origional owner trying to buff (dispite the fact they didnt know how to) and staying in 1 spot too long, this caused the paint to burn and go straight through the primer and clear coat.

I considered buying a new car just so I didnt have the issue of watching the paint die a slow and painful death but I couldnt! my Integra is a 1 owner with all original panels and no dints, knocks or scratches (major) it would be a waste to just sell it and buy a worse car, especially after I just had a rebuild and timing belt change.

I began to research pricing to get the panels resprayed, it was only three of them but the price of sanding back, re priming and spraying with clear coat looked to be about $2000 which is completely pointless.

BEFORE I BEGIN, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR CAR. THIS IS STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO HOW I TACKLED THE PROBLEM AND IF YOU DECIDE TO DO THE SAME, DONT BLAME ME IF YOU STUFF IT UP.

With nothing to loose but everything to gain I tackled the problem myself and this is the outcome.

I began by buying 1 can of clear coat and buying some polishing wax.
I also purchased a 1200grit single piece of sand paper, 2000grit and a blade.

Clearcoat: $20
Polishing wax: $15
1200grit: $1.20
2000grit $1.20

Total cost: $37.40

Respray cost: $2000+....?

Here was my problem:

As you can see the paint is flaking off and no longer sticking to the primer.

First:
I got the blade and starter to lift the clear coat off by gently sliding the blade underneith the clear coat and lifting. I found that the clear coat simply broke off where it was not properly stuck down.
After this the paint was exposed and I could wash the paint to get rid of any dirt of chemicals which would prevent the clear coat from sticking.
very lightly sand the paint using plenty of water so the coat adheres to the paint to prevent future flaking.

The next step was to spray the clear coat.
To do this make sure the surrounding areas are COMPLETELY covered with newspaper otherwise the clear coat mist will cause any unprotected surface to feel rough after drying.
Be sure to leave a 1mm gap from where the clear coat breaks off and where the newspaper starts. The reason for this is because we want the clear coat to overlap over the origional clear coat, that way moisture can get into the paint.

Next spray the exposed paint with clear coat.
I did 4 light coats leaving 5 mins inbetween spraying.

Wait to dry for a few hours and peel the masking tape and paper off exposing the new clear coat.
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

The next step is very important.
Make sure you expose the new clear coat to the outdoors for a few days to allow to harden and dry properly, otherwise the coat will not dry enough and you will have to repeat the process.

Next grab your 1200grit wet and dry sandpaper and soak it in some water for 5 mins.
Grab a spray bottle and add some dishwashing liquid and spray the area where you sprayed the clear coat on.
What we are trying to do here is even out and blend the coat so its not so obvious we repaired the paint red neck style.

Grab your 2000grit and repeat the sanding to get rid of any scratches the 1200grit caused and smooth off.

Finally get your polishing wax and polish her until the paint looks good.

This is my end result.

When comparing the old with the new I am extremely happy with my results.
You be the judge!

Hope you enjoyed reading guys!

Last edited:

JGvtec

Looks really good man! Sorry i didn't have any info for you though :(

It beats the cost of taking it to a shop.

sylvaner01

Looks really good man! Sorry i didn't have any info for you though :(

It beats the cost of taking it to a shop.
Thanks man, means a lot coming from you. (because your a detailer)

I am very happy with the way it turned out! I can now wash my car without having to worry about the paint peeling off =D

Its not perfect but for $40 I would much rather do this then let it peel away

Thanks dude

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Nice work, ive done this myself. Im pretty sure though that you want to lightly sand(<1000grit) the exposed color paint so that the clear adheres better.
- Aaron

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Damn i need to learn how to do stuff like this. Haha just bought a used hood and need to strip it, bondo it, and repaint it. Errrr but good job lol.