Type s or type r

michaelz

If you want to build a car, buy something more common and go nuts. Type S with the K20 would be a great base.

If you buy a Type R, depending on the condition, it's better to leave it original as it'll be worth more that way and hopefully become a collectable.

I'm itching to modify mine but I'm gonna save the $ for my Z and keep the R original.

You could also buy a cheap R that's been riced and give it some TLC. See it often on Honda-tech where there are plenty of Type R guys who keep 1 original and get a slightly roughed up one for a build.

DC_Five_Earl

Elaborate on that, back up your reason. The Rsx's are infamous for transmission recall's. Gear's slipping out.

Pro's for an rsx type s-
-Newer model.
-Bigger engine.
-Red cluster + a/c control lights .
-No distributor cap. - I personally liked this feature for the rsx. I thought it was neat.
-Leather seats.
-05-06 body styling looks nicer in my opinon.
-Don't have to worry as far as security if you were to buy a dc2/4.
-Larger standard tires.
-The females I hang out with think the 05-06 models are "Fucking Sexy".

Cons -
-Infamous transmission recalls.
-Massive Wheel hop from 1st - 2nd.
-Expensive on insurance if its because its a newer model.
-Uses more oil than a 1.8 litre :roll: (this isn't really much of a con but we're comparing it to the type r).
-No lsd transmission.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Pros for Type r
-Overrated engineering design for the car as a whole.
-Will out run 2010 civic si on the track if not, it'll still keep up and make it hard for the si to pull away.
-Limited Slip Differential - Makes a huge difference in driving.
-An already built car for the track.
-Head turner.
-Will be a collectors car for sure.
-Very wide aftermarket support.
-5 lug.

Cons -
-Good luck with security, theres a lot of people who would want to steal an authentic type r and strip it of it's glory.
-It's a DC2, this car will eventually have the same problems as we all do right now, moisture in the trunk, hard to obtain with low miles, Kelly blue book doesn't matter- the 'automotive hyph' in the area will decide it's value.

------------

-Built, not bought. There's a lot of controversy about this topic. For example, someone could build a regular base model dc4 to perform better than an authentic type r or rsx-s and look original to the owners likings. Another person could buy a type r/rsx-s and call it a day for the same amount of money. It's however you want to spend your money.

I hope this helps your decision.
True story. But overall I still love my DC5. Couldn't put this in any better way though:thumbs up

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Also the ITR is reinforced in several places as opposed to the base model. sway bars, strut bars, tie bar, strong bar, etc

ramblin_wreck08

Curves > Straights
I agree with everyone here. Pick up a GSR or a base model and make it yours. Sure a type r is a better platform to start with, but not only would you be spending a lot more on the car, you would be tearing down a rare, almost collectible car. If you're going to go crazy with the build, most of the stock components will be gone in the end anyway.

Cripton805

Why wouldnt you mod a type r? Im lookin to build a sleeper. Look like average car until I drop my foot and double clutch a quarter mile. I'm aiming for a ten second car( I know five grand won't get me that, it's just the starting point).
Sleeper type R?
No such thing. Even a stock Type R is way better than youre average car. Honda builds cars to own on a track.

One word of advice... weight.
Major weight difference between the two.

Get a GSR turbo to get that 10 sec mark. Wont be easy though or cheap.

Buying a type R to modify is stupid.

1. It costs alot of money & is a stripped RS shell.
2. Youre going to build the motor so anything you do to that C5, you could do to a C1
3. Get an RS, buy a JDM GSR B18C, BUILD IT, Heavily boost it, strip it to hell w/ a roll cage, slicks, & you got your ten sec car

An integra type r has the same exact shell as an RS. It just has all the weight reducions and goodies

Cripton805

Also the ITR is reinforced in several places as opposed to the base model. sway bars, strut bars, tie bar, strong bar, etc
As far as the shell goes. Its an RS shell. All that stuff can be replaced with better than ITR parts too.

As far as the sway bar goes though. The rear sway bar is the only difference and is reinforced in the area where it bolts down. It can get torn off another model if the sway bar is too thick because it doesnt flex as much. Theres ways to reinforce it though, but it has to be done properly.

The ITR was built off of the lightest model and least options... RS.

The DC5 ITR is completely different from the other DC5 models because the frame is different.
Not the same for the old ITR

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
As far as the shell goes. Its an RS shell. All that stuff can be replaced with better than ITR parts too.

As far as the sway bar goes though. The rear sway bar is the only difference and is reinforced in the area where it bolts down. It can get torn off another model if the sway bar is too thick because it doesnt flex as much. Theres ways to reinforce it though, but it has to be done properly.

The ITR was built off of the lightest model and least options... RS.

The DC5 ITR is completely different from the other DC5 models because the frame is different.
Not the same for the old ITR
The DC2 ITR has more than just the subframe reinforced

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
not sure how you would exactly add on everything besides the front strut bar, rear strut bar, strong bar, tie bar and the subframe (if you wanted to weld one on) besides that i dont see how a typical person could replicate one, if thats what you were implying