Type s or type r

wobet

RS SPECIAL EDITION? :o
A type r integra, vs a type s Rsx. What are pro vs cons. I'm makin a decision

wobet

If I put five grand into both cars as an N/A build, what would end up with better results. I'm not worried about stock parts issues because they're getting replaced sooner or later.

JGvtec

I wouldn't mod a type r, i would just keep it original. If you dropped 5k into an rsx idk. But they have bad syncro problems and with popping out of gear.

wobet

Why wouldnt you mod a type r? Im lookin to build a sleeper. Look like average car until I drop my foot and double clutch a quarter mile. I'm aiming for a ten second car( I know five grand won't get me that, it's just the starting point).

JGvtec

If your going to mod a car get a gsr. The type r is a almost getting to the point where people would collect them and just keep them stock. get a gsr.

jznsn2u

Type r. rsx's have problems.
Elaborate on that, back up your reason. The Rsx's are infamous for transmission recall's. Gear's slipping out.

Pro's for an rsx type s-
-Newer model.
-Bigger engine.
-Red cluster + a/c control lights .
-No distributor cap. - I personally liked this feature for the rsx. I thought it was neat.
-Leather seats.
-05-06 body styling looks nicer in my opinon.
-Don't have to worry as far as security if you were to buy a dc2/4.
-Larger standard tires.
-The females I hang out with think the 05-06 models are "Fucking Sexy".

Cons -
-Infamous transmission recalls.
-Massive Wheel hop from 1st - 2nd.
-Expensive on insurance if its because its a newer model.
-Uses more oil than a 1.8 litre :roll: (this isn't really much of a con but we're comparing it to the type r).
-No lsd transmission.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Pros for Type r
-Overrated engineering design for the car as a whole.
-Will out run 2010 civic si on the track if not, it'll still keep up and make it hard for the si to pull away.
-Limited Slip Differential - Makes a huge difference in driving.
-An already built car for the track.
-Head turner.
-Will be a collectors car for sure.
-Very wide aftermarket support.
-5 lug.

Cons -
-Good luck with security, theres a lot of people who would want to steal an authentic type r and strip it of it's glory.
-It's a DC2, this car will eventually have the same problems as we all do right now, moisture in the trunk, hard to obtain with low miles, Kelly blue book doesn't matter- the 'automotive hyph' in the area will decide it's value.

------------

-Built, not bought. There's a lot of controversy about this topic. For example, someone could build a regular base model dc4 to perform better than an authentic type r or rsx-s and look original to the owners likings. Another person could buy a type r/rsx-s and call it a day for the same amount of money. It's however you want to spend your money.

I hope this helps your decision.

DC4twokone

Resident Hoodrat
Modding an R is a skeptical subject because they are rare vehicles and almost a collector item, meant to be driven but, more of an example of what Honda could do with the FWD chassis.

Type R isn't much of a sleeper, big wing, bright colors, Badging, front lip, recaro seats..

Buy a GSR and build that. You'll have more money to blow anyway.

wobet

Well ya, "most people". But most people wouldn't mod certain mustangs and corvettes, but the people serious about there super cars with intent to have the best one in it's class would right. Like, I mean, is a Gsr seriously as good as a type r in the end? A type r, rare as it is, still is the best of all integras. So why not improve on the best to keep it that way. I see a type r and a Gsr then the ls rs models. Like. Buying eclipse, no body wants a gs eclipse spyder with a 4g64 when then can by an awd hard top eclipse. Or at least the gs-t and get a 4g63 with turbo. And still most people now would do a 6bolt swap on those cars regardless there reason, keeping it fast, or reliable. And they're getting to be as rare as the integra type r and gsr is ( buying a non rusted, accident free, clean title car). I just think, if you want a fast car, why not save up the money to buy the fastest and make it faster. In the end result, equal money spent, is it possible a Gsr is better, or are these just personal opinion suggestions about keeping a rare care stock because it's rare

Joshmmc

Buy a regular DC4 (1994-2001) Integra LS/RS/GS/SE model. Aim for one with a good body. Will probably cost you under 4k.

Buy an RSX Type-S engine. (K20A2)

Insert the afforementioned K20 into your DC4.

Invest your leftover 15 grand into an insane build right off the bat. If you do it right, your car will be faster than an RSX by a long shot, faster than a Type-R by a long shot, and it'll be 100% customized to your tastes.

As for the red cluster mentioned above... you could always buy some $4 LEDs.

Last edited:

wobet

Ya I guess so. Like, I want speed and quality. But I'm honestly aiming for a magazine car build. Like, best the car has to offer. (over a few years of work realistically) a original car is my goal, what ever happened to the guy with the Honda green integra 10 second pass thread

Joshmmc

Type-R's are best appreciated stock. As you've already been told, they're a collectors item these days. Scrap that option if you're looking to do a sick build, because it'd be a waste to invest so much into a rare car, just to pull off it's rare parts, depreciate it's value, and replace everything.

RSX's are cool, but anyone with a bit of money can buy an RSX, so unless you did something absolutely crazy and unique with it, it won't stand out. Plus, again, you will be paying a large sum innitially and leave yourself less of a budget for your build. Magazines want to see your money used in creative ways, rather than just on the sticker price of the car. Tuner magazine readers want to see cool new ways people spend their money to make their cars as fast and unique as possible. If I just wanted to see a nice car out of the box, I'd flip through the Exotic cars in a magazine like the Robb Report. What I'm saying, is you are more likely to be recognized if you buy a cheap car, and use your money to make it into something impressive, opposed to just using your money to buy an impressive car right off. I know you still intend to mod it afterwords, but you could mod a car much further if you spend less on it on the lot.

You also mentioned originality. That as well is all about doing something individual. The more money you have to pick out parts that YOU like, the more original your car is. Plus, if you've got a big parts budget, you could do something totally far out.

If I had the money that it sounds like you have, and I was to set out to be featured in a magazine, I would probably buy a DC4 and put something in it that you don't hear about often. Like a J-series V6 or a supercharged motor that is rarely supercharged. You could fool with totally uncommon stuff and buy rare and recognized parts such as old school Spoon and Mugen JDM parts, etc.

Magazines like when people who take inspiration and turn it into a car that means something special to them. Last months Honda Tuning mag featured a guy who airbrushed all sorts of things onto his hood that represented him in different ways.

Pick a specific plan and goal, or even a theme and stick to it. If you don't cut corners, and you aren't afraid to do things differently, you'll get noticed.

Last edited:

wobet

Joshmmc- thanks man, I understand what your all saying now, and I agree I guess. Why should I make a rare car another chopped and hacked car when I can do it to a Gsr for less money and still get my end results. I also like the idea with the k20 in a Gsr, I seen this done in a s2000 in a mag last month. Thanks slot guys, I'll definitely look for a gsr instead then. Rhd probably since I'll be Savin money on the gsr over a type r

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
RSX can be found in 5 minutes locally. ITR, you will be paying for a stock one with low miles. Soon they will almost cost as much as they did from the dealership.

Ks can get some decent power with an N/A build.