'89 Integra worth the trouble?

t41w4ne5ef0b

Hey guys,

Newbie here. Sadly I don't currently own an integra, but it's possible for me to get my hands on a '89 Integra, and of course, I would like to rebuild/repair/restore the Integra. However, I wanted to know if it would be worth the trouble/investment to do so (or how possible it would be). I've NEVER tried to do anything like this before, nor do I have a lot of experience doing any rebuilding/repairing/restoring on a car.

As far as I know, the car is in working condition, but I don't know many of the details about the car. The biggest concern I have is getting a place to store the car and work on it. The garage is full at my house and I'm wary of leaving it in the driveway (I've read posts of people's integra's getting stolen and parted :( ). This also brings me to my next point since I'm currently a college student attending an out-of-state school (thus there would be extensive down time) and leaving a car in the baking sun isn't such a good idea if you're trying to restore it. Plus the humidity is horrible here, and I'm pretty sure that's not good at all...

If I were to get the car, I'd hope to replace the engine. I've browsed the forum and I'm pretty sure this integra has a D16 on it (I'm almost positive that this car hasn't too much work done on it). That job alone seems like it'll cost more than $1k (anyone have #'s to give me a better idea?). It also seems like an engine replacement would mean no A/C? (It's almost impossible to survive without A/C where I live). I also don't know what other parts need replacing/repairing since I've never driven the car.

And also another question: Would it be possible to switch out an automatic transmission to a manual transmission (this particular integra is an automatic)? I'd like to use this car mostly for joyriding, and a manual just seems a lot more fun.

But in the end... it seems like doing all this work yields a car that isn't worth much? I'd also like to know approximately how long it took to do the above modifications, if possible.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i say go for it. its possible to swap from auto to manual. you just need all the parts for the swap

as for time, it all depends on the condition of it. it may take a lot of time, money, and effort to get it looking badass but much more worth it seeing oldschool rides fixed up

Karu Hewett

I bought a 1988 G1 Integra 3 days ago. It only has 185,000 km (115,000 miles) on it. It isn't as good as I had hoped, but only because my success rate for buying brilliant $500 cars has let me down this time. The interior is excellent along with the running gear while the body requires a little work. Still, of all my cars I am certainly going to keep this one, although I will never sell my Suzuki Super Carry; pity you Americans' can't enjoy them. Mine too has the D16, although it has the black rocker box, and auto.

It seems a shame to plan on replacing the engine and auto trans without using it first. I will drive mine and eventually upgrade the engine and put a manual behind it.You could save cost buy keeping the original engine and bolting a super charger to the A/C mount, I know that I would like to do that if I cannot find a B16 at a reasonable price because the engine seems very slow to build revs and I can keep my power steering with the original engine. Strange though isn't ti? To have power steering on a small car?

Is it worth it? How can you even question that with that stunning black one on this page. I know what color I am painting mine. Honestly, I do not understand how people can prefer the looks of the later models. Must be me!

Last edited:

t41w4ne5ef0b

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang that integra DOES look nice...

I guess it is a good idea to test drive it with the automatic first. At the moment, it just doesn't seem possible to execute such an ambition. I really wish I had the space to securely store the car, but I'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't want to put up with it.

I'll be keeping this in mind though. Thanks!

Prozon

Kris
To answer your question it's all about the amount of effort you want to put into it. The price it will cost to get. Maybe try pricing things. It is a lot of work to rebuild a car, and do a good job, but in my opinion it is definitely worth it. If you are trying to fix it up and sell it, well your probably going to have more money into it then it is worth, but if your doing it so you can keep it.. well like I said, it's up to you.

If you do replace the engine, I assume you're replacing it with a crate/rebuilt? Your a/c would work if you haven't undone the lines, when you open an A/C line you lose your refrigerant, and it won't make anything cool without it. Pretty much ANY repair shop can recharge your a/c for you, or you can buy the can of refrigerant and do it yourself. Most of the time I've seen people take the a/c off the vehicle when you could just flop it to the side and not open the lines..

I've heard that a manual to automatic swap is somewhat tedious to do. I suppose it won't be too bad if you get a clear idea of what your doing and you get all the parts ready for it. But from what I've heard, it's easiest just to start off with a manual to build up.

As for the price of the engine, if your doing it yourself it will be considerably less then having a shop. I have no idea what these specific engines go for new or used, so I can't really help. I bought a rebuilt B18B1 for my '93, and I heard that I got a really good deal, so it could go either way. Just be weary when buying rebuilt from a person and not a shop or something with warranties.

As for as being a noob to repairing cars and such, the best way to learn is to just do it. There are tons of articles and websites around to ask questions. (ClubIntegra is a great place to learn.) So your not alone while doing the engine/transmission swap. As for the body work, I wouldn't say it's hard. There's a few rules to follow and at most it's just time consuming! :roll:

Now these modifications can take time, or they can go by fast. It really depends how quick you learn. Body work is ALWAYS time consuming. Depending what you do anyways. I could give you a better idea if you were more specific to what the body needs. Engine swap could take you a few hours or a few days, it depends. I pulled my engine in four hours. With lots of staring at it saying "What the **** is keeping it in?!!?". I think if you go in with a good understanding it won't be bad. I could probably get the engine out in less then an hour now. Hopefully I won't have to though! :)

Good luck, and if you have any questions just ask!

Last edited:

mirrorimg

@above, you need to fix your quote. It looks like you wrote an essay.

Instead of asking us if its worth it... take this into consideration.

Do YOU have the TIME and RESOURCES to make that happen?

More time than resources may be what you have, but then you need the determination to save money to make it happen over time. If you just want it as a beater, sure. If you plan on completely restoring it, its going to cost you some major bucks.

Prozon

Kris
Obviously you haven't seen any of my essays!
I know it's a bit of a rant, but I like to get the point across. :D

t41w4ne5ef0b

Alright... some nice input here.

@mirrorimg's: You got my situation pretty spot on. Currently on summer break without a job and I do get kinda bored. I got some money saved up that I could use to fix it.

@Prozon: Do you have the amount you spent on the engine replacement? I'd like to get a general idea of how much it may cost me in the end.

How much work do you guys think could get done on the integra over a course of 3 weeks with $1000? By the end of the 3 weeks, it'll have to still be drivable.

From my knowledge, there's some problems with the brake lines so that'll have to be first. I have access to a forklift that I can use to lift the engine if I decide to be that ambitious for the three weeks.

Also, do you guys know what parts can/should be obtained from scrap yards? There's quite a number of them I can go to, but being without much experience, I can't say I know which parts will reliably work. (This will also be the first time I've ever visited a scrap yard)

phatintegra

Banned
Look at the under carriage to see how much rust is under there. I look at a 89 while back and turn away due to the whole under carriage was rusted like a very bad cancer that already was eating the whole flooring. i was pist because I had big BIG plan for it.

Last edited:

Suprman91

"Zip-Tie-It!" - Wisdom
I also say get it. I started off not knowing much about rebuilding either, and now im working on a auto to manual tranmission swap myself. It's a pain in the ass. It would be easier to buy a M/T teg but not everyone has that luck especially when you get a good ass deal. but yea I would get it if I were you, It's a good feeling seeing your car come along and knowing you put your sweat into it. Good luck with your decision.

Manilo

i say go for it. its possible to swap from auto to manual. you just need all the parts for the swap

as for time, it all depends on the condition of it. it may take a lot of time, money, and effort to get it looking badass but much more worth it seeing oldschool rides fixed up

Where does this guy that that side marker light (I think thats what it's called). Its the white strip of light next to his main lights.. I want those! The original are yellow but like the white. Any possibility you could tell me what their called and maybe where I can buy them? Thanks =x Sorry for thread jack?