89 integra 1.6l dohc mods?

89acurategra

trying to make my 89 integra a little better but not sure what to do this is my first import and im just starting to get into it already doing a paint job and some body work already done have a cold air intake header and exhaust but want to do some more performance upgrades to the motor without spending a whole ton of money could you guys help me out what should I do?

mirrorimg

trying to make my 89 integra a little better but not sure what to do this is my first import and im just starting to get into it already doing a paint job and some body work already done have a cold air intake header and exhaust but want to do some more performance upgrades to the motor without spending a whole ton of money could you guys help me out what should I do?
Start by using some more punctuation? You have a huge run on sentence with only a question mark on the end.

The D series will not make much power with simple modifications. You need to invest some serious money to get power out of them, with that being directed more towards turbocharging the motor.

Other than that, an engine swap would probably be of more interest than upgrading the internals of a D16.

89teggie

89teggie
u aint gonna get 200 hp without building the internals, and lucky to get 200 at that.

89teggie

89teggie
cams would make some difference, adjustable cam gears to add tuning range. aftermarket intake would be ok, but u can get the same performance from just polishing the stock intake manifold. cold air intake will help a little. a header and a straight flowing exhaust will help a bit. for NA run 2 or 2.5 inch exhaust. lighten your load, remove anything not critical. rear seats, inside paneling, move battery to rear of vehicle to balance load, etc. anything to lighten the car will help not necessarily hp, but make the car have to work less to get rolling.

mirrorimg

Well ok but what upgrades do you recommend without doing internals I was think cams or a different intake?
I recommend you install a turbocharger. You will not see any gratifying results from putting any internals in a motor that makes 115hp at the crank.

89teggie

89teggie
if u boost more than 6 pounds or so u need to have better internals to handle the extra power. and a balanced motor will run smoother and better.

mirrorimg

if u boost more than 6 pounds or so u need to have better internals to handle the extra power. and a balanced motor will run smoother and better.
PSI is useless without knowing the turbo charger. 6psi on a small turbo is not the same as 6psi on a big turbo. The tuner will determine a safe limit for the motor. The strength of the cylinder walls determine how much power the motor can be tuned to. B18's walls can handle power up to about 300HP.

And what do you mean by a balanced motor? As long as the car is up to date with its maintenance, it should run just fine. A built motor will make more power, not necessarily run "smoother and better."

89teggie

89teggie
a good machinist can balance the crank, pistons, and connecting rods to balance it out, or blueprint the motor.

89teggie

89teggie
search how to blueprint an engine to learn more about this. i'm a machinist and my supervisor builds race car engines, so i know about machine work on an engine

89teggie

89teggie
PSI is useless without knowing the turbo charger. 6psi on a small turbo is not the same as 6psi on a big turbo. The tuner will determine a safe limit for the motor. The strength of the cylinder walls determine how much power the motor can be tuned to. B18's walls can handle power up to about 300HP."
PSI is a standard, which does not change. bigger or smaller turbo, it does not change. that is what the tune is for, to set the turbo, waste gate, and bov to run a certain PSI. bigger turbo can push more boost, smaller turbo cannot push as much boost as a big turbo, but the tune determines the amount of PSI being forced into the engine.

the cylinder walls may be able to handle that, but more can give way than the cylinder walls. connecting rods can break, cheap pistons can break, worn bearings can give way. there's alot that can go wrong besides cylinder walls.

Last edited:

89acurategra

I think im going to start by doing the cams and see where that gets me. What did you do for a cold air intake? Do you have any recommendation on intake system and what about polishing my original intake manifold?

drspddmn

If you're lookin to do something that doesn't require you to have to do internals, I have the motor that is my profile picture for sale. It already has most of the internals done minus the cams and crank. The head has been ported and polished and the block has been bored .40 over. If you're interested I can get more pics and details for you.

mirrorimg

If you're lookin to do something that doesn't require you to have to do internals, I have the motor that is my profile picture for sale. It already has most of the internals done minus the cams and crank. The head has been ported and polished and the block has been bored .40 over. If you're interested I can get more pics and details for you.
The motor in the pic is also a B18, DOHC. Unless it comes with a transmission, axles, and new mounts to install it, I doubt the OP would bite. He has a D16 in his first gen. Not a direct swap.