Eibach ground control coilovers question

filipinoy06

filipinoy06
can i use stock shocks/struts for eibach ground control? whats the difference between ground control and full coilovers? anyone? thanks!

JdmBoi

Edm_Bo
i dont see why not... the difference are that a full coilover are racing oreint which give you full height adjustment and can handle well on different racing circumstance that can last you a good time base on how much you trying to spend.gc are just coilover unless you get the whole setup including koni strut which is what i a got isnt much differ from the full coilover but it give you a racing oreint as well. gc offer more drop then other coilover brand and have ride adjustment such as how soft or how stiff you want it . but stock strut will just blow in matter of time with coilover since they cant handle the pressure of being low if you do slam your car. they well ride like ass man. i learn the hardway but i did research so im happy with my setup

mirrorimg

If you lower the car out of spec for the stock struts, they will blow. You need struts made for a lower ride height.

heykosal

Angkorian
You can lower your car on stock shocks, but they'll wear faster and blow very soon, as they aren't designed to be lowered.

The difference is that Ground Controls are what are called "coilover sleeves" which slip over a shock and bolt-in as one unit. They're only for lowering, and are only adjustable for height. They're kind of like normal lowering springs except its a spring mounted on a sleeve(hence the name) with adjustable collars for ride height adjustments.

Full bodied coilovers are a shock and spring combined into one self-contained unit. High end units are not only adjustable for height but also dampening rebound and compression. Also, good quality coilovers have adjustable strut/shock(the two are different, but that's a totally different subject) bodies that are height adjustable, instead of lengthening or shortening the spring in order to adjust height, which would alter spring rate. REALLY high end coilovers have what is called a "remote reservior" which is exactly what it sounds like, the oil for the shock is contained in a reservior remote to the pistons, either mounted on the exterior of the shock, or elsewhere near on the chassis. The reason for this is to keep the temperature of the oil from being superheated from hard use, which can cause aeration which decreases dampening characteristics.

This is a basic explaination, do some searching and you can find a thorough, detailed comparison of the differences between full-bodies coilovers and coilover sleeves. I think there's a thread elsewhere on the site that explains it, but I'm too lazy to find it right now;) Hope this helps buddy.

heykosal

Angkorian
i dont see why not... the difference are that a full coilover are racing oreint which give you full height adjustment and can handle well on different racing circumstance that can last you a good time base on how much you trying to spend.gc are just coilover unless you get the whole setup including koni strut which is what i a got isnt much differ from the full coilover but it give you a racing oreint as well. gc offer more drop then other coilover brand and have ride adjustment such as how soft or how stiff you want it . but stock strut will just blow in matter of time with coilover since they cant handle the pressure of being low if you do slam your car. they well ride like ass man. i learn the hardway but i did research so im happy with my setup
Uhhh what? I can barely make sense of what you're saying, and what I can make sense of is incorrect.....

Actually now that I've read an re-read it, pretty much everything you said is wrong:roll:

Please...learn before you teach

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Uhhh what? I can barely make sense of what you're saying, and what I can make sense of is incorrect.....

Actually now that I've read an re-read it, pretty much everything you said is wrong:roll:

Please...learn before you teach
Epic troof lesson :thumbs up

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
yeah. to make it simple, there are two types of "coil over" setups out there.

sleeve type- a simple threaded sleeve with an adjustable perch to set ride height. reducing ride height in these, however has a dramatic effect on shock travel and spring preload. and not in a good way.

full bodied coil-overs- as mentioned before, these are an "all in one" suspension setup. they offer height adjustment, AND spring preload adjustment. these are ideal for track purposes. they allow you to fully lower your car as low as it can go with the setup, while maintaining 100% shock travel. try dumping your car on sleeve type coilovers. you'll have AT MOST, 2" of shock travel. NOT GOOD. I don't care how nice your shocks are, that little travel will blow the shocks quickly.

here is a video explaining the differences in the 2. now, it is made by Junk2 (yes, i said it. I'm not a fan of S2)
sleeve type (slightly different from a traditional "universal" sleeve type, the threads are actually a part of the skunk2 shock in this video, but the idea is the same when it comes to shock travel/preload)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytG4LlWvEkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqn2hmwAUtU&feature=related
full bodied type:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL3VxYc87VE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHLWtqem_AI&feature=related

watch all 4 videos for the full idea. now, i'm not recommending skunk2 as i personally think they should stick to engine performance, as their suspension parts seem shitty to me. both in overall opinion on product design, and personal experience. if you're going with a sleeve type setup, Ground Control, imo, is the only way to go.

Full bodied coilovers? just about anything you can get from Tein will be great. Best option for full bodied coilover setups, if you ask me.

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
sorry but im too lazy to read so ill clif note it:

ground control vs full coilover
ground control is a sleeve
sleeved coilovers kill shock travel while full coilovers dont
ground control lets you choose which shock you can use
full coils dont
a true ground control system can cost as much as a coilover

*DA3*

u could but their will probably blow more quietly then the shock that are for lowering

heykosal

Angkorian
Junk2 (yes, i said it. I'm not a fan of S2)
Blasphemy!
Ground Control, imo, is the only way to go.

Full bodied coilovers? just about anything you can get from Tein will be great. Best option for full bodied coilover setups, if you ask me.
Ground Control:thumbs up

But as for my opinion, ST is the current best option for full coilovers. They're now a division of KW Automotive, and offer KW German engineering and quality(minus a few bells and whistles) The ST coilover kit is a great basic system offering high-end performance at an affordable price. You can see the resemblance the ST product shares with the company's more expensive KW suspensions product line. Impressive.
TEIN is overpriced.

Last edited: