b18a1 into 94 integra!!!!! plz help me i'm stuck!!!

g35cpe

Ok hi i'm new here and need a little help. First i have a 94 integra that i bought with a blown up motor in it but i already had a low mileage b18a1 in my garage so i figured that i could just swap that into there. So i pulled out the blown motor and started swapping parts. BTW the b18a1 is a 93 model motor so it is obd-1. I swapped over the dizzy, harness, a/c compressor, altenator, and manifold. I am not new to working on hondas so i knew this was the least of what needed to be done. I did a little research on this topic and see that i may need to swap over the thermostat housing as well....now if i can find the other one or did i swap it over????? I went to put the motor in the car today and see first hand the b18a1 driver side mount won't work ( i did not see any info on this so now im stuck), Looking at the mounts the b18b mount looks like it has three bolts that hold the bracket to the block, i have not taking the timing cover off the b18a1 does anyone know if the bracket that holds that mount to the block has three holes also because with the cover on all i see is two. This really sucks because the motor is basically bolted in the car except the one mount. any insight will help and if you see any other parts i need to swap over plz let me know thanks also there is a sensor on the back of the block that does now have a plug in the new harness ive seen i can leave it hanging is this true????

Ok hi i'm new here and need a little help. First i have a 94 integra that i bought with a blown up motor in it but i already had a low mileage b18a1 in my garage so i figured that i could just swap that into there. So i pulled out the blown motor and started swapping parts. BTW the b18a1 is a 93 model motor so it is obd-1. I swapped over the dizzy, harness, a/c compressor, altenator, and manifold. I am not new to working on hondas so i knew this was the least of what needed to be done. I did a little research on this topic and see that i may need to swap over the thermostat housing as well....now if i can find the other one or did i swap it over????? I went to put the motor in the car today and see first hand the b18a1 driver side mount won't work ( i did not see any info on this so now im stuck), Looking at the mounts the b18b mount looks like it has three bolts that hold the bracket to the block, i have not taking the timing cover off the b18a1 does anyone know if the bracket that holds that mount to the block has three holes also because with the cover on all i see is two. This really sucks because the motor is basically bolted in the car except the one mount. any insight will help and if you see any other parts i need to swap over plz let me know thanks also there is a sensor on the back of the block that does now have a plug in the new harness ive seen i can leave it hanging is this true????
You need the driver side mount from a DC. The bottom part of the mount should be the same. I had the same issue only reverse when we put a 94 LS bottom end in my DB1. I have the top part of the mount, PM me if you're interested in it.

sportsma1539

yea you have to take the mounting bracket off of the old engine and put it on the new one. They bolt right up to each other. Leave the plug hanging. Since you swapped over the intake manifold, just put a cap on the extra hole on the thermostat housing. You wont have to swap it over. If you were using the b18a1 intake manifold, then you would have a hose running from the intake manifold to the thermostat housing. But the b18b1 manifold doesnt have this.

Last edited:

g35cpe

ok thanks so much for the help??? Should I be able to switch the brackets without pulling the motor out completely???? And this hose that needs to be blocked off where can I get the caps?? I am using the b18b1 manifold but the black hose that runs from the thermostat housing into the back of the block is the original b18a1 does that matter??

sportsma1539

that hose you are talking that comes from the thermostat housing would normally go into the b18a1 intake manifold. (not the block, that is another hose). Since the b18b1 manifold doesnt have this area on the intake manifold, just block off that area on the thermostat housing. If you look on the b18b1 thermostat housing, it has that same spot for a hose but it is blocked off. You can get a cap at any auto parts store.

Yes you can get the mount without pulling the motor out completely but it is alot easier if you can pull it out a couple feet to get to that mount. I had the same exact thing happen to me and I was able to swap them by raising the engine back up.

I found a pic of my b18a1 thermostat housing that I had to switch over. Here is the one you need to cap off.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
sensor on the back of the block is most likely your knock sensor. It will run without it but it's not a bad idea to get it hooked up if you can.

g35cpe

oh ok i see what you are saying now... and really thanks so much for your help.... i was ready to give up almost just because i couldn't tell if both brackets had three holes that hold it to the block u really saved me alot of guess work and future headaches im sure.. do you know if since im using the a1 crank pulley and power steering pump if the actual power steering line bolts up i was looking at it and it kind of looks like the connector on the line is turned a different way than the connector to the pump itself.

g35cpe

ok about the sensor thing there are two beside each other one is 2 prong green plug( the one that doesnt have a connector on the harness) and the other which i think is the knock sensor has like a little black boot on it and you cant really see the sensor but there is a yellow/red wire that comes out of it which looks like i just pulled it apart from the harness by accident so i just lengthened the wire and reconnected it

sportsma1539

your going to need to swap the crank pulleys too. The power steering pumps use different belts. Im not sure what you're talking about as far as the line goes. But yea, there are 3 bolts for the mounting bracket for the motor mount. Since you are going to need to change the crank pulley, the first thing I would do is take it off, then take off the timing belt cover to access those 3 bolts for the mounting bracket. To get the timing belt cover off(the bottom portion), the crank pulley has to come off. You can kill two birds with one stone there.

sportsma1539

Which engine harness are you using?? If you are using the b1 harness, then you would actually have an extra plug in the back of the engine that the b1 harness doesnt contain. You shouldnt have any extra plugs from the harness but one on the engine itself that doesnt have a plug. And obviously if you were using the a1 harness, you wouldnt have any extra plugs.

I did the same swap but the other way around. I put a b18b1 in my 92 and used the a1 harness. I had an extra plug that the b18a1 had a place for but not the b1. Understand?

g35cpe

ok so i pulled the motor back out switched the bracket for the mount (without pulling the intire timing cover off) was not easy though. I would have switched over the crank pulley so i could have power steering but i got rid of the blown up motor awhile ago after i never could get either pulley off, so i crimped the line took off the reservoir and the pump itself. After switching mounts it was a piece of cake motor fell right into place. Now im missing the crossmember and both the rods that bolt to the bottom of the spindle wtf!!!! Also my linkage seems to be bent and not going back on so i had to go to a friends house and buy the linkage off him. all in all the motor is in and i appreciate everyones help and i guess i must have switched the thermostat housings too because i dont have and extra hole to cap off. if anyone has the x member or knows someone that does i will buy

g35cpe

one last thing can anyone tell me if i can cut the plugs that came of my da radiator fans and put the newer plugs on and it work the radiator for the car has a huge hole in it but i still have the radiator out of my 93 but plugs are different both only have two wires but they are different