Valve Cover question and Strut bar question

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
One: What is the best way to get off paint off a valve cover with all those crevices. If its sandblasting where can I get that done.
ALSO: I got a valve cover gasket, and it seems to have excess on both sides of the valve cover length wise. Is that normal or should I just get another?

Two: I got a strut bar that seems it would fit on my teg, but things are in the way like the fuse box and master cylinder on the pass side, and I took the fuse box off and still won't fit with the cylinder.

GSR FTW

1- no the gasket shld not be hanging off the sides and idk abt paint but maybe u cld sand it off but i dont think ppl use sandblasting to strip paint??? and 2- then itprolly doesnt fit if you just have a random strut bar

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
well it seems to want to fit just has stupid shit in the way. I don't know which way to go with it.. Above or under the wires lol Because I think id have to mod it a little. but it would fit if wires were not there. Alright I guess ill just reuse the old gasket for a day or so.

GSR FTW

u cld always do a little modification

u cld always do a little modification^^

mirrorimg

There should not be any wires in the way of a VC gasket. You can use paint stripper to get rid of the paint on the cover

TheSickestDC2

Banned
yeah i would use aircraft paint stripper it is good stuff and you can buy it at wal mart. i am assuming you have a 3rd gen teg, so how can the fuse box be in the way of a strut tower bar? It is all the way in the back left corner, but chances are if you had it just laying around it wont fit the car good luck though take a picture of the strut bar and post it

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
if he had a 3rd gen teg, he would have posted this in the 3rd gen teg forum ;)

here are your answers...

for the valve cover, as someone else mentioned, Aircraft Remover. can be found at any automotive store, walmart etc. for $5-$8. works well, but be patient with it. also, use it in a well ventilated area, especially if you don't want to spend your afternoon in the ER hooked up to oxygen tubes etc. (lol)

for the strut bar, depending on the bar, it won't fit. you have ABS (hence the master cylinder on both sides of the engine compartment) you've got a master cylinder for your regular brakes/booster setup, and a master cylinder for your ABS system. SOME (and by SOME, i mean VERY VERY FEW) 90-93 teg strut bars that were made for NON-ABS cars will work, but MOST won't. You'll have to hunt down a strut bar that was made for a 90-93 Integra with ABS. they are hard to find, but Skunk2 and GReddy/Trust make them. BUT, good luck finding either, as both are discontinued (at least the GReddy/Trust bar is discontinued). There are a few others that fit, but again, MOST are discontinued. here is a thread on G2IC about strut bars that fit with ABS equipped G2's...
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3053&highlight=strut+bar+abs

from member G2Guru:
Here's the run down of strut bars that fit 90-93 Tegs with ABS from most to least expensive.

GAB $200
Lightspeed $160
Spoon $150
Z-Speed $130
Greddy/Trust $100
Momocourse $100
Tenzo R $90
Matrix $75
OBX-R $60
Pilot Motorsports $60

please note, those prices are current as of 2001 (!!!!) most/all of those bars are discontinued so prices will either be cheaper or [MUCH] more expensive, depending on the brand. if you can find the first 5 on the list, i can guarantee you'll pay almost double what the prices above were mentioned.

hope that helped.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Also check for clearance by the dashpot, i had one that was pretty close to touching. That's when I stopped buying shit parts.

Edit: Somebody with a useful post for once....

Last edited:

mirrorimg

here are your answers...

for the valve cover, as someone else mentioned, Aircraft Remover. can be found at any automotive store, walmart etc. for $5-$8. works well, but be patient with it. also, use it in a well ventilated area, especially if you don't want to spend your afternoon in the ER hooked up to oxygen tubes etc. (lol)

for the strut bar, depending on the bar, it won't fit. you have ABS (hence the master cylinder on both sides of the engine compartment) you've got a master cylinder for your regular brakes/booster setup, and a master cylinder for your ABS system. SOME (and by SOME, i mean VERY VERY FEW) 90-93 teg strut bars that were made for NON-ABS cars will work, but MOST won't. You'll have to hunt down a strut bar that was made for a 90-93 Integra with ABS. they are hard to find, but Skunk2 and GReddy/Trust make them. BUT, good luck finding either, as both are discontinued (at least the GReddy/Trust bar is discontinued). There are a few others that fit, but again, MOST are discontinued. here is a thread on G2IC about strut bars that fit with ABS equipped G2's...
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3053&highlight=strut+bar+abs

from member G2Guru:
Here's the run down of strut bars that fit 90-93 Tegs with ABS from most to least expensive.

GAB $200
Lightspeed $160
Spoon $150
Z-Speed $130
Greddy/Trust $100
Momocourse $100
Tenzo R $90
Matrix $75
OBX-R $60
Pilot Motorsports $60

please note, those prices are current as of 2001 (!!!!) most/all of those bars are discontinued so prices will either be cheaper or [MUCH] more expensive, depending on the brand. if you can find the first 5 on the list, i can guarantee you'll pay almost double what the prices above were mentioned.

hope that helped.
I always miss the forum title :oops:

TheSickestDC2

Banned
hope that helped.
wow i am an ass lol i just clicked the link on the home page lol, and totally forgot to look at where it was listed sorry for the stupid comment just ignore that one lol

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
There should not be any wires in the way of a VC gasket. You can use paint stripper to get rid of the paint on the cover

Its in front of the strut bar sorry. well heres a question then..
is teh ABS cylinder on the right side. if so how much is it to delete it.. cuz I will just do that.. it doesn't fking work anyway. So freaking aggitated

Last edited:

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
it'll cost more to delete it than it would to just find a strut bar that will fit properly. to be honest. deleting ABS and all its components will definitely clean up the bay, but if you aren't going to be doing any major tucking etc., i would just figure out what's wrong with it and fix it. hunt down a strut bar that will fit it, and you're good.

odds are, if its a strut bar that was bought off of ebay, its probably not worth a shit, anyway. most strut bars (even a few of the ones that DO fit ABS tegs) aren't very good.

probably the best ones on the market are the Spoon bar, GReddy, and the GABsport bar. those things are unbelievable.

jeepers94

93 Integra GS
One: What is the best way to get off paint off a valve cover with all those crevices. If its sandblasting where can I get that done.
ALSO: I got a valve cover gasket, and it seems to have excess on both sides of the valve cover length wise. Is that normal or should I just get another?
The best way to get the paint off is aircraft stripper. I bought mine from home depot for like 7 or 8 bucks. I would also get a brush that way you can brush it on heavy and let it sit until it starts to work. you have to also wear chemical gloves as the stuff can burn you pretty bad. Also the gasket is bad. once the gasket is used once it heats and expands. If you try to use it again it may not seal properly so I would buy a new one.

Last edited: