clutch clutch clutch

cripemaster

hey guys i know i've asked alot lately but just one more. I'm about to need a new clutch. what brand would be the best choice. all i have is a cai so would it be pointless to jump to a stage 2 clutch? one more. on my trans i can shift right into neutral without pushing the clutch pedal in when i'm in second and fourth but any other gear i have to push the clutch in to get it into neutral, whats with that? is it serious? any help would be awesome. i really appreciate it.

Andrew93

Currently Building
well, im going with a xtd stage 3 clutch witha xtralite flywheel(like 12lbs i believe) and after delivery it cost me $256 or so. and im not sure if yours is different for the shifter becuase it only slips out of 2 and 4th but on my brothers car he was actually able to shift after 1st w/o using the clutch of course its obviously not good to do it, but if your not purposly trying to shift w/o clutch then it shouldnt cause a problem imo.

i cant remember if that was in his civic or the prelude

jdmmike91

if your not trying to spend alot of money....or if your not planning on putting alot of hp to the ground go with an ebay clutch you can get a stage 1 clutch kit for really cheap i ran a stage 2 in my daily driver never had a problem yet bites good and fast only cost $100 for the kit from XDR .....no if if your planning to put alot of power lets say 300hp and up go with somthing more durable like an exedy, good luck ....that slipping out of gear is from normal wear ....wont hurt anything its the grinding you have to worry about ...if starts to do that rebuild tranny and put in new synchros and bearings

tilegend

stages are just different categories.

a clutch is really rated in torque holding capacity.

and you get what you pay for with those "ebay brand" clutches. changing out the clutch isn't as easy as changing brakes.

as for a suggestion on which clutch to get... i would go with an exedy stage 1 kit or a clutchmasters fx100

cripemaster

thanks guys. the being able to slip out of gears without pushing in the clutch, is that just the clutch wearing out or is that my trans messing up?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
thanks guys. the being able to slip out of gears without pushing in the clutch, is that just the clutch wearing out or is that my trans messing up?
its the syncros. they let you shift without the clutch at a certain rpm.

i would go with exedy stage1

jdmmike91

its the syncros. they let you shift without the clutch at a certain rpm.

i would go with exedy stage1

thats what i was thinking also. it might be his synchros...i would rebuild it just to be sure...
i always rebuild the tranny before i through it in...safer that way because sombodies word only goes so far as to say it dont "grind" or "pop out"

as for the main question:

from expierence i can say that once it starts poping out it is an early warning that a sychro is going out

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
thats what i was thinking also. it might be his synchros...i would rebuild it just to be sure...
i always rebuild the tranny before i through it in...safer that way because sombodies word only goes so far as to say it dont "grind" or "pop out"

as for the main question:

from expierence i can say that once it starts poping out it is an early warning that a sychro is going out
ALL transmissions do that. no matter what its called the "perfect shift" all cars do it

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I run a competition clutch stage 2 kevlar and cc 12lb flywheel. Good combo for my motor and I don't have any gripes about it yet except for it smelling when I'm hard on it.

I paid around 600 or so for both.

jdmmike91

ALL transmissions do that. no matter what its called the "perfect shift" all cars do it

its only supposed to pop out if you pull it out while letting off the gas at the same time....not while you are on the gas......trust me i know what you are talking about and your right

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I wouldn't call it the perfect shit, all it is is that your synchro speed is matched to your engine speed.

cripemaster

thanks guys. i appreciate it again. no there is no grind at all and it doesn't come out of gear unless i push it out. now that i think about it i don't remember ever pushing it out of gear while my foot was on the gas. it may have just been when my foot was off the gas, but i will experiment in the morning. i really hope i don't have to rebuild my trans so any further insight would be hugely appreciated. thanks again.

evilminion88

I ate the bones
About the shifting problem, you've got a bad synchro on the second and fourth gear. Synchros are little rings with teeth matching the gear what keep the shift fork and slider(inside the trans) on a gear and not come out of it untill you disingage the clutch. This could be caused by poor shifting, grinding gears, or not disingaging the clutch between shifts. Its not to serious unless you don't mind it possibly coming out of gear while your driving.