Tranny for Turbo!?!?!?!?!?

cripemaster

well sorry for all the misunderstanding. this is all very knew to me and i just wanted a pretty straight answer as in yes it will fit but you need to convert to hydro. everyone keeps telling me as well that i should use a b16 trans cause i guess the gears are even shorter than a gsr trans. whats the different between a gsr trans and a type-r trans? i know as you said before the type-r is stock with lsd and the gsr isn't but what's the main difference between them?

jdmmike91

There are so many things wrong with this post lol

- YS1 does not come stock in a GSR
- 96 GSR is not a cable transmission
- USDM GSR does not come with an LSD

But anyway, yes, the GSR has shorter 3rd, 4th and 5th gear as well as the final drive.

it cam off of a usdm b17a1 , and my friend yes it came in the gsr i believe and wich is lsd and yes it does have a Lock up lsd that i had installed with carbon fiber synchros wich i also installed and mine is cable by the way i could e-mail you pics if you want from the build of the tranny

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
well sorry for all the misunderstanding. this is all very knew to me and i just wanted a pretty straight answer as in yes it will fit but you need to convert to hydro. everyone keeps telling me as well that i should use a b16 trans cause i guess the gears are even shorter than a gsr trans. whats the different between a gsr trans and a type-r trans? i know as you said before the type-r is stock with lsd and the gsr isn't but what's the main difference between them?
It's alright. But for future reference, all B-series transmissions have the same bellhousing with the exception of B20A's that came out of early Preludes. The Type R has even shorter gears than the GSR. 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th are even shorter than the GSR. In case you haven't noticed yet, they all have the same 1st gear. The Type R also comes stock with a helical LSD
it cam off of a usdm b17a1 , and my friend yes it came in the gsr i believe and wich is lsd and yes it does have a Lock up lsd that i had installed with carbon fiber synchros wich i also installed and mine is cable by the way i could e-mail you pics if you want from the build of the tranny
You said it was from a 96 GSR. Since when does a 96 GSR come with a B17 and cable LSD tranny? If you can show me where a 96 GSR came with a B17A1 and LSD equipped, cable transmission...then be my guest.

jdmmike91

It's alright. But for future reference, all B-series transmissions have the same bellhousing with the exception of B20A's that came out of early Preludes. The Type R has even shorter gears than the GSR. 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th are even shorter than the GSR. In case you haven't noticed yet, they all have the same 1st gear. The Type R also comes stock with a helical LSD

You said it was from a 96 GSR. Since when does a 96 GSR come with a B17 and cable LSD tranny? If you can show me where a 96 GSR came with a B17A1 and LSD equipped, cable transmission...then be my guest.
the guts or from 96 shell for tranny is off a b17a1...my point is that the ys1 did come on a gsr......my tranny however is from many dif mods..and years

and by the way look at this...oh my god its a 96 gsr that came with a b17a http://www.jaydm.com/jdm.htm look on the right colum oh and OH MY GOD it came with lsd optional....no way!!!! lmao dud where do you get your info man?

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The B17A1 came in the 92-93 GS-R. The question is, where are you getting your info?

PS - The page you linked shows only B18C's and B16A's. Not one reference to a B17A1

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Please don't bad mouth my motor by saying it came in a 96gsr.