1990 LS issues!

BIGB90teg

Ok I have a 1990 LS! My problem is on occasion my car will do nothing when tried to start, but will start the majority of the time. I've gone through 2 reman starters, and am on my third right now and ice gone through 3 batteries (cuz of the bad starters) and I've replaced starter, battery, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter and still problem exists any imput on what to do next? O and the car acts like the starter is bad and when I tap lightly on the starter it starts everytime! Could this be due to the remans will brand new starter possibly work or may it be something else?

acclude

cheap bastard
I've never had a problem with remans and I've installed them on lots of cars.

Have you double checked to make sure you have good engine grounds?

Are the starters getting lined up properly? If not, that can cause them to burn out quicker, drain the battery and all the stuff you're describing.

BIGB90teg

Lining the starter wrong how can u do that I mate it up and align everything then slide the bolts through I guess I'm not following on how it could be put on crooked just confused!

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
My bet is on the starter again. Remanufactured parts tend to crap out. That's why they usually come with a lifetime warranty. They're cheap, but you may have to replace it a few times before you find a good one.

Andrew93

Currently Building
yea my brother had this on his honda civic recently, if it tried to crank it would....otherwise it didnt turn over unless u tapper on the starter... he got one from a guy on craigslist and it starts perfectly

Super-DA9

1990 DA9 LS
Two things for you to check, make sure ALL of your grounding points/wires are connected, tight, secure and in good condition. If it's not that, check the alternator. I had some rough starting problems with my 1990 LS and couldn't understand what was going on until one day I got my friend to look inside my engine bay when I started my car, and just as it cranked he saw a big spark jump across the side of the gearbox. So it turned out that the wire that grounds itself to the gearbox was disconnected and just hanging there. So I reconnected it, and sha-boom. worked fine.

Best of luck!

amaestre32

Lining the starter wrong how can u do that I mate it up and align everything then slide the bolts through I guess I'm not following on how it could be put on crooked just confused!
dude my car was doing this for 3 weeks straight i was so fn pissed. you really gotta make sure it is in right. i had it in and it wouldnt start at all. i would hear it working but not start. my brother came over and pretty much hit the starter and it worked. i turned it off and tried it again and it wouldnt do it. the starter kept jerking forward out of place. the back bolt wasnt in right so it jerked it off. do you get a high pitch squeal when it starts?