b18a1, build or boost?

cripemaster

I obviously have a b18a1 in my 1990 GS. I was just wondering if this motor is worth building or if i should save up for a b18c1? This is my first build and I'm just curious waht you guys think and if I do build my b18a1 will any of the parts be interchangable once i do get a b18c1?

mattkeem

i would get b18c instead of the b18c1
it doesnt matter if u get the gsr or the type r engine
save upto 5k and get the b18c engine

JdMrican88

Prince of 2nd Generation
i love my b18a1 u need to do sum research on whats been done to our motor buddy not only whats on this site theres stuff all over the web even videos

tilegend

theres very little difference in them especially since ur gonna build it anyway
the only thing they share similarity in is they have a crankshaft girdle, same oil pump, water pump, and other misc. stuff im forgetting

the whole bottom end rotating assembly is different. pistons, rods, crankshaft.

the head is completely different also, different casting, camshafts, and valve train.

very little difference? i think not.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
x2 those motors are very different. ITR motor is great stock and for N/A. GSR has potential in all areas including boost. I personally wouldn't boost an ITR engine.

acclude

cheap bastard
what do you plan to do with this motor? Just a nice daily driver or are you actually doing some form of racing with it? Makes a difference on the route you choose.

xusake

will it depend on how much money you got to spend on your toy's.
1.high compression all motor
2.low compression with high turbo boosting
3.supercharge rebuild motor or rebuild kit
4.rebuild kit with turbo, ls-turbo
5.just keep it stock with jdm styling or go ricer style
6.shoot nitrous
7.board out
8.just keep it bond stock

GSR FTW

the only thing they share similarity in is they have a crankshaft girdle, same oil pump, water pump, and other misc. stuff im forgetting

the whole bottom end rotating assembly is different. pistons, rods, crankshaft.

the head is completely different also, different casting, camshafts, and valve train.

very little difference? i think not.
i meant the numbers are basically the same

cripemaster

I just for now want a nice daily driver that can spank a decent amount of cars. I was just wondering if it was really worth building since it's not v-tech and i live in the midwest and if you don't have v-tech you're a noob. haha. so i was just curious if the b18a1 is a worthy platform to push maybe just under or hopefully over 200 without boost or spray.

mirrorimg

If you dont spell vtec right you're a noob. ;) The title says build or boost, but your first post says build or swap? I would suggest working on the motor so that it can handle the boost, and then slapping a turbo on it. So in effect, both.

cripemaster

haha thanks for the vtec correction. i also heard that a b20 valve cover will fit the b18a1 cause i really don't like the b18a1 valve covers so i was just wondering if this was true as well.