how to replace altenator belt

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
get in the car and drive it to a shop.
If said belt is torn or has been removed and the shop isn't far away would it be alright to drive the distance to have it replaced or would a tow be recommended?

~Dave

dc2b18

Wait... What?
the car won't run without the alternator so you would need a tow truck.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
if your batteries fully charged and you dont use any power stuff u can make it if its not too far.

There should be a listing on your battery label as to how long it can operate the car without the alternator to charge it.

Silver Knight

Disconnect both battery cables with a socket wrench. Remove the four-prong connector and black wire located in the back of the alternator.

Remove the adjusting bolt and mounting bolts from the alternator with a socket wrench. Remove the eight locking nuts and bolts with a socket wrench so that you can disconnect the alternator belt. This will allow you to remove the alternator assembly.

Install the new alternator assembly and tighten the mounting bolts to 33 ft. lbs. with a torque wrench. Install the alternator belt and adjust it to the proper tension before you torque the locking nuts and bolts to 16 ft. lbs. Connect the four-prong connector and both battery cables.

Reset the pcm idle memory. Start the engine and maintain 3,000 revolutions per minute until the cooling fan starts running. Let the engine idle normally in neutral for about five minutes with all of the electrical accessories off.

good luck!

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
sweet jesus guys!

Disconnect both battery cables with a socket wrench. Remove the four-prong connector and black wire located in the back of the alternator.

Remove the adjusting bolt and mounting bolts from the alternator with a socket wrench. Remove the eight locking nuts and bolts with a socket wrench so that you can disconnect the alternator belt. This will allow you to remove the alternator assembly.

Install the new alternator assembly and tighten the mounting bolts to 33 ft. lbs. with a torque wrench. Install the alternator belt and adjust it to the proper tension before you torque the locking nuts and bolts to 16 ft. lbs. Connect the four-prong connector and both battery cables.

Reset the pcm idle memory. Start the engine and maintain 3,000 revolutions per minute until the cooling fan starts running. Let the engine idle normally in neutral for about five minutes with all of the electrical accessories off.

good luck!
THANK YOU for actually ANSWERING the fucking question.

Silver Knight

sweet jesus guys!

THANK YOU for actually ANSWERING the fucking question.
lol. no problem. glad i could be of some assistance. the only tricky part i can think of would be getting the belt tight. i have found it best to have a pry bar to help push back and hold the alternator in place to make the belt tight.

wite2nr

also, since you have a DA you have to remove the driver side axle and unbolt the halfshaft (you can just swing it down if I remember correctly).