lowering springs or coilovers

Lzelda91

been thinking about some coil overs or just doing lowering spring at the moment. still trying to decide which is kinda though. would you guy recommend just saving the money for coilovers or or just go to lowering springs and be cool with that. if so what brands would be my top choices for these coilovers or lowering springs?

thanks andrew

rgb17

skunk2 is not too expensive. they make everything from springs to coilovers to struts. tein is great but pricey. im planning on dropping my integra with just lowering springs, but its up to you. good luck

VietTeg_12

Integ For The Win!!
it really depends on what you really want to get out of your ride. of course, coilovers are the better choice since you could get adjustable ones or you just won't have to hassle through getting the right springs and struts set up since it's all packaged into one. If you want awesome ride quality, coilovers. You could just go with springs but they will wear out your stock struts a lot quicker.

I'm personally going with HP Blues struts and H&R sports springs. Since my teg is going to be an aggressive DD, I don't want to go all the way to coilovers, but this set up of struts and springs is what I personally like to get good ride quality and handling

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
What's your budget and what kind of driving do you do?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
What's your budget and what kind of driving do you do?
x2

but if you dont track it or just do auto cross and touge, i suggest doing shocks and coilover sleeve combo like koni yellow or tokico illumina paired with ground control sleeves. perfect suspension set up. for average daily driving and some touge here and there.

but if you tell us your driving style and budget then we can get you the perfect set up.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Either way, I'd shoot for full coilovers, even if you don't track/auto-x or anything like that. Consider the price of coilover sleeves (Ground Control = $400), plus good struts (Koni Yellow = $120 a piece) and now you need a camber kit.

By the time you buy all of that you could have just bought full coilovers that independently adjustable for ride height, spring pre-load, and both compression and rebound damping and also comes with adjustable top hats for camber and possibly caster too.

The Ground-Control/Koni setup will only allow you to adjust ride height at the expensive of strut travel while the Koni's are only adjustable for rebound damping.

So, why not save for the full setup?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i keep forgetting about shock travel on the sleeves. and full coils mean you dont need a camber kit?

revn99teg

Either way, I'd shoot for full coilovers, even if you don't track/auto-x or anything like that. Consider the price of coilover sleeves (Ground Control = $400), plus good struts (Koni Yellow = $120 a piece) and now you need a camber kit.

By the time you buy all of that you could have just bought full coilovers that independently adjustable for ride height, spring pre-load, and both compression and rebound damping and also comes with adjustable top hats for camber and possibly caster too.

The Ground-Control/Koni setup will only allow you to adjust ride height at the expensive of strut travel while the Koni's are only adjustable for rebound damping.

So, why not save for the full setup?
x2. Ground control sleeves can set you back a few bills, short of buying a full coilover system. I would do the H&R sports on any aftermarket struts (Tokiko blues, Konis, KYB gr-2) These are basically replacement shocks for your stock ones. This setup will probably cost the same as one set of GC, and H&R sports doesn't give an aggresive drop so these struts would do fine, this is what I'm going with after riding on ebay sleeves for a couple months (worst idea ever:evil:)

If you want coilovers, I would get skunk2 pro-c or pro-s or tein basic coilovers (flex would be tight but it costs too much for a DD). Try to stay away from cheap deals for Ksports because they had issues with their first generation coilovers. I forget exactly what the problem was, but they fixed 'em on the generations they are now producing. The problem is, you can't distinguish between the generations just by looking at them. Just some buying tips.

revn99teg

go for coilovers, springs will just ruin your suspension.
If you do your research, then this wouldn't be an issue. What most people don't know is that finding spring rates from manufacturers for certain kinds of springs is actually pretty important. This helps with matching springs with the right set of struts.

revn99teg

i keep forgetting about shock travel on the sleeves. and full coils mean you dont need a camber kit?
This depends entirely on how low you're going to sit. 1.5-2 inches won't need a kit becuase it will only cause about -2* in camber, and this is actually good for when you're lowered just that low, it helps tuck the tire a little more to prevent rubbing. TOE is what can kill your tires fast, I learned this recently on another forum, haha.

Last edited: