Newest G1 owner!

nec9

Hey guys, bought a 1987 RS a couple days ago and thought I'd start browsing some forums for hints, tips and general advice. I found ClubIntegra and thought this was the place I'd call forum-home! I know nothing about the integras and only a handful of things about cars in general so hopefully I can get some pro advice! Anyways, thats it for now, I will try to post some pictures up tonight.

General info about the car that I know of:

-I am the 3rd owner
-Completely stock with original everything
-Well taken care of with all maintenance papers
-Has 159k miles
-Has a terrible squealing noise when I start it in the early cold mornings and goes away when its warmed up

Thats about all I can think of right now, I will get those pictures up so you guys can see the rest.

Thanks again!

Here are some pictures. I will put some more up of the front and engine compartment later today:

Last edited:

98_gsr

niice! welcome to ci! post some pics of your new ride using photobucket when you have a chance...your squeeling issue is one of the belts so you should check those out and see if they need replacing/tightening

nec9

Hey man, thanks for the warm welcome. Yeah I should be able to get some pics up tonight after I get off work to at least have something to look at until I can get a picture of it in the daytime. So the squealing noise is a belt? I think someone said something about a timing belt but I'm not sure...could that be it? If so, is it best to replace it or tighten it? I think one of my maintenance papers said it was changed at 100k...so its 59k miles later. How often am I supposed to replace them?

Thanks in advance!

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
Timing belts should be every 80-90k with major tune-up.

Wellllllllllcome!

98_gsr

Hey man, thanks for the warm welcome. Yeah I should be able to get some pics up tonight after I get off work to at least have something to look at until I can get a picture of it in the daytime. So the squealing noise is a belt? I think someone said something about a timing belt but I'm not sure...could that be it? If so, is it best to replace it or tighten it? I think one of my maintenance papers said it was changed at 100k...so its 59k miles later. How often am I supposed to replace them?

Thanks in advance!
Check out your alternator belt and power steering belts. Open your hood up and see where the sound is coming from, then let us know and we'll help you fix the issue.

nec9

Put some new seat covers in today...the ones the previous owner had in were pretty disgusting; as you can tell in the picture. Going to be on my way to my uncles later to replace some belts and fix the squealing as well as a quick detail job and wash job :)

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
I was told on Gen 1 it is 60k abd o eplace he wae pump oo.:???:
Timing belt and water pump go hand-in-hand, IMO. I'm pretty sure the manual suggests six years or 90k. I don't know why it'd be different for a G1, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check your manual.

nec9

Well it turned out to be the power steering belt; replaced it today and so far no more squealing. Also got new spark plugs and air filter. Next PRIORITY thing on the list is new tires...mine are pretty much bald and is definitely not a good thing for rainy, wet, cold seattle weather :(.

nec9

Got a new problem guys.. Last night before I changed out the air filter, spark plugs, and power steering belt, the PGM-FI light came on just while the car was idling for about 5 minutes. I turned the car off and back on and the light was gone and hasn't shown up again until today when I was sitting at a light. The only thing I noticed when it came on was the engine went particularly quiet; more quiet than usual. Luckily my place was one turn away but it still kind of scared me. Any ideas on what it could be?

P.S. The new power steering belt didn't fix the squeal. It is a very high pitched prolonged squeal only in cold mornings. The previous owner had thought it was the belt, but now he is suggesting it could be the fluid? Honda and Acura have a special mineral based power steering fluid and maybe someone put in the wrong stuff and its not getting enough lubrication? At least that was his guess.

/sigh, a couple problems turned into more problems :(

EDIT: Nvm, the engine light happened to be an O2 sensor which was replaced very recently...so I guess its safe to ignore it for now. Still need to cure the squeal though.

Last edited:

blackhawk070

first off locate the squeal. could be a belt, a pulley, ps pump, or alt. it could also be the h2o pump or the timing belt tensioner/idler pulley. be thorough in your search. the pgmfi light could be just the new o2 sensor acting up, another problem, or it could be nothing at all that you should get checked out just in case