Upgrade 92 Integra or get a whole new car?

freedom_fri911

I am leaving for college this January and I've been deciding whether I should keep my current car and do some upgrades to it, or whether I should buy a whole new car. Like I said, its a 92 integra hatchback and it just hit the 220k mile mark and still runs decently. Since I bought it about 4 months ago, I have gotten a new blower motor for the AC, gotten a new radiator, new exhaust system and assorted other smaller repairs. I just got my car back from the mechanic the other day and they said that a) I need to keep an eye on the front brakes and b) its a very sturdy car. Since I bought it I have only put on about 4k miles, and when I go to college, I will only be using the car a fraction of the time. Realistically, I am only going to be able to afford a car in the 2.5k-3.5k range, so I'm afraid that I'm going to be running into this same problem at a later date.

If I decide to upgrade my car, some work I'll want done is this:
Body Kit
Custom Paint Job (my dad and I can do that by ourselves)
and hopefully reapulster the interior

So my questions are:
How much longer do you think my car will be able to last me? Would it get me through college?
Would it be more worth the money to upgrade this car and run it until it dies or to buy another used car?
Beyond what I have already mentioned, what other upgrades would you suggest?

cooki3monstr

snarf
im betting that car will get you through college

dont do anything to that car except necessary repairs...save your money for when your car throws a rod or something and you really do need a new one.

bakerrm

Well, it depends on how the car has been treated... If it's been neglected and/or abused, probably not much longer. You could run a few tests on the engine, such as a compression test, or checking oil pressure by temporarily hooking up a mechanical oil gauge. That's not going to make the car last any longer, but it may give you insight into how much life the car has left, and perhaps, settle your nerves. A chilton's manual would be a good investment, if you feel inclined to maintain the car yourself.

Does the car burn or leak oil? Keep an eye on the oil level and make sure to keep it full but do not ever overfill it. Change the oil and filter on schedule.

If you want to get the most life out of the car, drive it easy. I know it can be hard to do when you have a little power under your @ss, but you need to drive a high mileage engine with respect if you expect it to last.

Do you have any service records from the previous owners? Timing belt replacement, etc.?

revn99teg

2xx xxx is just the beginning of the mid-life of a honda engine. i would personally keep your DA and just save your money for more mods in the future. i wouldn't waste my money on a body kit either, but a paint job and interior detail sounds good. just keep your car simple, that would help keep you ricing out your car and regretting in the future. just save your money for more performance mods in the future and some exterior mods like rims. i'm sure if you time and money into your car, you can make it look like a badass DA, and its possible. and if it does die....swap time

freedom_fri911

I do not have (or at least cannot find) the previous owner's service records, nor do I remember exactly what work was done on it when I bought it.

It despirately needs some body work, so I'm thinking a body kit is really necessary. I will have saved enough money to do all the upgrades I want while also having enough money should something unexpected happen *crosses fingers*

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I'm going to tell you flat out right now that NO ONE on this forum is going to be okay with you putting a body kit on that car...

Fair warning to you.

I agree on the saving your money for school part, but if you really want to put a kit on it, make sure you lower it too...

Wheel gap + body kit = disgusting. lol

No wheel gap + body kit = alittle more okay IMO

cooki3monstr

snarf
2xx xxx is just the beginning of the mid-life of a honda engine. i would personally keep your DA and just save your money for more mods in the future. i wouldn't waste my money on a body kit either, but a paint job and interior detail sounds good. just keep your car simple, that would help keep you ricing out your car and regretting in the future. just save your money for more performance mods in the future and some exterior mods like rims. i'm sure if you time and money into your car, you can make it look like a badass DA, and its possible. and if it does die....swap time
huhhh? hondas last for a really long time, but 200k is not just the beginning of its mid life lol. more like after its mid life/coming to an end.

just save your money man, dont waste it on a car with 200k miles on it. drive it into the ground, and use however much you have saved when its not worth fixing.

freedom_fri911

I'm going to tell you flat out right now that NO ONE on this forum is going to be okay with you putting a body kit on that car...

Fair warning to you.

I agree on the saving your money for school part, but if you really want to put a kit on it, make sure you lower it too...

Wheel gap + body kit = disgusting. lol

No wheel gap + body kit = alittle more okay IMO
Why are body kits not reccomendable?

My thing is I'm going to a school where Mom and Dad usually buys the students' cars, so they're much nicer, I just don't want to be embarassed rolling up in my little car :lol:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
It's not our style... we go for stock + a little

Body kits = alottle. lol

The kids with mom and dad buying cars are def going to have a better car then you no matter what you do to the car... honestly, if that's your problem, I suggest you sell your car and find something newer you can fix up.

TegyDriverYaDig

i drive YA DIGGG
yeahh fix the dents on the car or any damage and paint it

no need for a body kit i personally think that g2's look good as long as they arent dinged up

freedom_fri911

The thing is that the car has obviously been rear-ended at least once. My dad had a look at it and it would be a really big bondo project to fix it up, so I think that at least a rear bumper kit would be something that I wanted to invest in.

cooki3monstr

snarf
fuck rich kids, i went to a high school like that.
youre not your car lol

da integras are sick, i dont care what anyone says.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
If you just want the car to last through college, dont waste money on cosmetic upgrades. Get the car reliable, timing belt is a good start. Check the suspension bushings, on the G2 it's very common to need new trailing arm bushings. Just look over everything now so you don't have any unexpected break downs when you're a broke college kid.

The compression and leak down tests are also very good to do.

revn99teg

huhhh? hondas last for a really long time, but 200k is not just the beginning of its mid life lol. more like after its mid life/coming to an end.

just save your money man, dont waste it on a car with 200k miles on it. drive it into the ground, and use however much you have saved when its not worth fixing.
if what you're saying is right, then hondas can, and are able to go beyond the 200k mark, but it seems like you just contradicted yourself with saying "hondas last for a really long time" then saying his DA is about to end.

i know others on here would agree that the first 100k of a honda is just breaking it in, and another 100k wouldn't do much to it depending on the user. And i also know from personal experiences that honda engines do go ever 200k and more untouched with bolt-ons, even though they might not be the same engine as his DA but they are all from honda.

his DA still has a lot more left in it, thats just what i'm saying and using "200k is just its mid-life" is just a metaphor to say that.