engine sputtering, what could it be?

soto2635

i changed the valve cover gasket on my teg, after i put it back on i went for a drive and it started smoking alil and i notice it was like sputtering and like it was misfiring for a lil the it would drive fine what do you guys think it could be?

mteg

Automatic Lover
First off, is the gasket leaking anywhere? 2nd, is the car stll sputtering, or does it run fine now-did you shut the car off and restart it? What else did you do besides changing the gasket.

Make sure you have the plug wires back where they need to be. Also make sure you reconnected the ground wire from the vc to the rad support

soto2635

First off, is the gasket leaking anywhere? 2nd, is the car stll sputtering, or does it run fine now-did you shut the car off and restart it? What else did you do besides changing the gasket.

no leak, it sputteres when u first take off sturggling to accerate, did nothing else but change the gasket

soto2635

what do you guys think could be causing this?

mteg

Automatic Lover
Check your plugs, what shape are they in. Also, does the car idle ok? Could be a bad map sensor or bad wire. I had a wire break on my map sensor harness a week ago-made the car run like shit. Are you getting a CEL? Try disconnecting your battery and resetting the ecu, its worth a shot. I guess a few other things to try would be replacing your pcv valve (obd2 is on top the vc, obd1 on backside of block), change your fuel filter, change your plugs if they are bad, replace your plug wires, replace your distcap and rotor, check your ign coil. It's just odd that the car ran fine before you changed the vc gasket and now it sputters.

Last edited:

soto2635

Check your plugs, what shape are they in. Also, does the car idle ok? Could be a bad map sensor or bad wire. I had a wire break on my map sensor harness a week ago-made the car run like shit. Are you getting a CEL?
all the wires are in still good, no CEL though some one on other forum told me that if oil got into the sparkplug tube that could be it, what do u think?

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
theres got to be oil in the spark plug tube. Why else would It smoke at start up? Take the VC off and make sure you didnt put the seals in upside down. Remove the plugs and clean them...or buy new ones.

soto2635

How did you fix it? Doing what Robbie said?
yea i took off the VC and i took out the plugs and wires b/c there was oil all up in there and stuck paper towels to suck it up. did that clean it up put new plugs and wires in and it ran like a champ