I'm New

Duey1083

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I just bought a silver '99 Integra SE with 66,000 miles (106,000 km - I'm Canadian) for $6500 CAN. It has a scrape along the passenger side quarter panel, but the damage isn't too extensive. It's only had one previous owner, has had the timing belt and water pump replaced, and has been very well taken care of (i.e. oil changes and the milestone services + lady driven). I think it was a pretty good deal.

Anyways, I was wondering if you could help me diagnose a problem. I was driving it home the other night on the highway, and I noticed that the temperature guage went from warm (it only got up to a 1/4 of the guage) to near cold. This would happen at higher speeds. It was a cold rainy day when I drove it home, but it was a really hot day when I bought it and test drove it, hence why me and my dad never noticed it. I am thinking that the thermostat is stuck in the open position.

What do you guys think?

Is this an easy fix? I would like to learn how to work on my own cars a bit. I also need to replace the brake pads, which I know isn't too hard.

98_gsr

the thermostadt isnt that hard to replace if you hit up team-integra.net they have a detailed article on how to replace both the brake pads and the thermostadt. and welcome to CI!!

Duey1083

Thanks guys,

I checked the coolant levels and it was right up to the neck of the radiator filler cap and just above the minimum mark in the reserve/overfill tank so I don't think it's the coolant level.

Will it hurt the car to drive it in the "overcooled" status? I just need to drive it about 40 miles to get to my parents house where they have a garage I could work in.

patrick4588

Integra God
it wont hurt it if your oil gets to operating temp. without an oil temp gauge though, you wont really be able to tell that. you could unplug your fans so it runs a little hotter, just try to stay out of traffic so it wont over heat.

1caintegra

type-s and the RS
Thermostat and coolent are both option check both. nice pick up. in for pic

Last edited:

Duey1083

where in Canada...you going to drive to perform this coming weekend?
I'm in Calgary...actually funny enough, the guy at the dealership where I picked up a new thermostat asked me the same question. Really nice guy there and he figures that my diagnoses was correct about the thermostat. I just decided to buy the OEM part for the thermostat and coolant because the coolant in the car is so new and this way I know I am getting the correct operating temperature thermostat.

I haven't taken any pics yet though (the car is stock and will probably stay that way as I am a student). I should take some considering it is my first car that I bought myself. My other car was an '84 Audi 5000S. Lol, that thing was a tank but nothing worked in it!

Duey1083

Hey Guys,

I just replaced the thermostat and I was just wondering how to properly bleed the coolant system. When the car was cold I filled the radiator up to the filler neck and filled the reservoir to full cold. I ran the engine until the upper radiator hose was warm with the heater on maximum and without the radiator cap. I let it cool down after that and squeezed the upper and lower rad hoses and expelled some air. Then I topped the rad up with coolant again and waited for it to warm up again.

I read in the Haynes manual that there is only a bleed screw for the '94 and '95 Integra models only. Is this true? Is it safe to take it for a short test drive to see if it gets to normal operating temperature?

Thanks again!