Car almost dies upon startup

mteg

Automatic Lover
Now before I have 50 people post that I should check for vacume leaks, or change my fuel filter, I'm just wondering if my new TB (70mm skunk2) would be causing this. When I start my car up after it's been sitting all night, it seems to idle low for a little bit. Sometimes when I put it in drive, the car sputters for a second or 2. Thats it. Then it runs fine. I've never gotten a check engine light, and I checked my pluggs-they seem fine. I've looked for any signs of vacuum leaks, etc... This only started after I changed the TB. Also, If I shut the car up and restart while the engine is warm, I don't get this problem/annoyance. Anyway, my question is, could increased airflow cause this, and is there anyway to get rid of this? It's rather annoying and embarrising when I'm pulling out of my garage and my wife asks me if we are going to break down.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
It's rather annoying and embarrising when I'm pulling out of my garage and my wife asks me if we are going to break down.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!! umm...try resetting the ecu?? have it tuned??? i dunno..possible solutions

mteg

Automatic Lover
It only does it upon start up. Actually, she says that every time she gets in the car. I'm just wondering if this is something that I can fix or something I have to live with-as in letting my car warm up.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
You try checking the battery? Unplug it, then replug it. Then leave the engine running for about five minutes straight. Then see if it's still happening.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
It only does it upon start up. Actually, she says that every time she gets in the car. I'm just wondering if this is something that I can fix or something I have to live with-as in letting my car warm up.
she sound smart... you must not get a lot....lol:lol:

mteg

Automatic Lover
Tried the battery thing already. My car barely did it at lunch. i'm wondering if it just does it on cold starts, and it's somehting I will have to deal with-especially since it's an automatic and I no longer have a fitvalve. i guess I'll find out next winter.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
Does your new TB have a IAC?

I'm not sure where IAC's are on tegs, BUT..... It almost sounds like that's plugged up.

mteg

Automatic Lover
Does your new TB have a IAC?

I'm not sure where IAC's are on tegs, BUT..... It almost sounds like that's plugged up.
The oem tb has the adjustment screw, I never really thought about adjusting the skunk2 tb. It idles fine after the engines warm, guess I could try adjusting it. Supposedly your supposed disconnect the IAC valve from the IM, but thats a pain in the ass. I guess I have something to try tonight after I change my oil.

mteg

Automatic Lover
We were going to go up there, but that plan fell through. I know we are going to try to do a club event up there at some point. Hopefully hit up that new park at Mt. Olympus.

mteg

Automatic Lover
Well, I got the answer I was looking for. Aparently the automatic needs that fit valve to regulate the ammount of air comming in up startup. 2 years ago when I swapped in an itr tb, my car idled funny in our nice wisconsin winter. My buddy that works at the honda dealership came and looked at it. He said that becuase of the large amount of air (going from 62-70mm) plus the lack of a choke (fitv) the ecu is apparently confused and take a few seconds to calibrate everything. Hence the almost dieing upon startup. On the good side, after the car warms up, it runs fine. On the bad side, there's a good chance my cars going to run into problems starting next winter. I might have to pick up a used ls tb to swap in for the winter months, or not drive my car.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
boooo.......

I know you've been asked about it before, but is a manual still out of the question?

As for Mt. Olympus. That'd be awesome!! lmk when you guys are going and I might jump in on that. I think I'm going to try and have a meet at Devils lake on the 26th... I think you already posted in that thread tho. lol

mteg

Automatic Lover
Nope-no manual for me-at least on this car. Yeah, Mt Olympus would be fun. Def try to get up there on the 26th.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
mmmmmk. haha

Just an idea. We'll see about the 26th. no one on h-t has really posted in my thread about it, so we'll see...