Pricey thermostat?

Bowtie

O > | | |
My thermostat is apparently bad (While driving the needle barely registers above C, at idle it only moves up about a fifth of the way and then drops back down once I get driving again.) I can get a Stant one from my parts store at either 170 degrees or 180 degrees for about $15. I called the Honda dealership close to me ( the ONLY one close to me) and asked if they had an OEM one. they do, but they say it costs $22.50. This seems a little high to me. Would I be better going with the OEM one for more money, or are the other after market parts plenty good enough to do the job?

Bowtie

O > | | |
That one seems a bit out of m price range at $88. other than that, would I be better off springing the extra $10 for an OEM style, or will I be fine with an after market one for less? I'm leaning after market at the moment.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
That one seems a bit out of m price range at $88. other than that, would I be better off springing the extra $10 for an OEM style, or will I be fine with an after market one for less? I'm leaning after market at the moment.
Mugen, Spoon, or go home.

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
if the more expensive aftermarket ones are out of your price range, stick with oem. :twocents: you're just looking at a $7.50 difference at the dealership.

i've had two thermostats fail on me from pepboys. maybe it was a coincidence, but not worth it to me.

Spody02

Name: Cody
i got mine of oemacuraparts.com
i think one of those aruca sites and it was only 12 shipped

Bizkit64

Yo?
Really worth the 80 bucks? Might replace a bunch of my stuff, with better crap (magnetic drain bolts and such)

jdm jon

i just got an oem t-stat from Advance Auto for my teg (paid like 10bucks)......couple hours after installing and re-filling the coolant and closing the hood........checking my temp gauge (still not moving/budging/working)..............my dumbass realized i put the t-stat in backwards, that has to be it. so now i gotta drain all the coolant out, again. then flip that bitch.

is there any other factors that can keep the temp guage from moving or working properly?
i have my fan bridged cuase im guessin my fan switch is busted just to keep my motor regularly cooled.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Your thermostat doesn't control your tempguage, the coolant temp sensor does. Sounds like it's bad. Your old thermostat is most likely fine. Either the sensor or your guage needs to be replaced, probablly the sensor, never seen the guage fail.

jdm jon

Your thermostat doesn't control your tempguage, the coolant temp sensor does. Sounds like it's bad. Your old thermostat is most likely fine. Either the sensor or your guage needs to be replaced, probablly the sensor, never seen the guage fail.
thanks for the info :)