Coilover Suggestions

Nighthawk

Goes Vroom in the Night
Maxspeed's suspensions products are garbage. I remember when Wheels Next was first starting up, they were GIVING springs/coils away with the purchase of a wheel/tire package. I received the springs and immediately sold them off for like $40 only to find out one of the springs broke within 3 months of being installed on the girls car.

As for cutting springs...thats as bad as putting covers over your headlights at night, or using racing harnesses with no roll bar. Springs are a safety feature of the car believe it or not.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Maxspeed's suspensions products are garbage. I remember when Wheels Next was first starting up, they were GIVING springs/coils away with the purchase of a wheel/tire package. I received the springs and immediately sold them off for like $40 only to find out one of the springs broke within 3 months of being installed on the girls car.

As for cutting springs...thats as bad as putting covers over your headlights at night, or using racing harnesses with no roll bar. Springs are a safety feature of the car believe it or not.
What's wrong with having a harness without a roll bar? I'm planning to get a bucket seat without a roll bar.

imports901

I'm surprised koni/gc hasn't been mentioned at all. Pricey? yes. they can be had for right around 7-800 brand new. If you want decent ride and slammed that's probably your best bet. That's what i plan on running whenever i can get enough money together. if you want to be super dumped, you should probably get the extended top hats as well.

What's wrong with having a harness without a roll bar? I'm planning to get a bucket seat without a roll bar.
In the event of a roll over you will be trapped in your car and no cage to protect the roof from caving in and crushing you.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Because if you can afford to buy GC and Koni Yellows all at once then you might as well get a real full coilover

It's not a bad setup for the budget minded or if you don't have 800-900 off the top to spend on a real coilover

imports901

What makes a "real coilover" better than the koni/gc setup? From my understanding of things, that's probably one of the best setups you can get with out spending at least 1k per corner on a setup like motons or ohlins which imho are way over kill for your average street car.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Most real coilover systems are indepently adjustable for ride height and preload. With the Ground Control setup, when you lower the car, you greatly reduce suspension travel which leads to a lot of bottoming out which will make your car handle worse and will greatly shorten the life of the struts. With a independent preload and ride height adjustments, you maintain full suspension travel at all ride heights

Last edited:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
What makes a "real coilover" better than the koni/gc setup? From my understanding of things, that's probably one of the best setups you can get with out spending at least 1k per corner on a setup like motons or ohlins which imho are way over kill for your average street car.
Why would someone use Motons or Ohlins for the street in the first place. Now that's just stupid.

imports901

Yes it's true with what you said about the koni/gc, when you play with ride height the travel suffers. But with coilovers that are dual adjustable, the travel is already really short and that's how they are able to have seperate adjustments.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
No they aren't. The mounting point on the bottom of the strut is adjustable so you can lower it down that way. G/C uses the spring perch to lower the car which partially compresses the strut, reducing travel. A double adjustable only uses the spring perch for preload. It's just lowers the whole unit instead of just shortening the compression travel, It stays the same length

Last edited:

imports901

Usually with those coilovers tho, the shock travel is alot shorter than the travel of a standard koni yellow.