Catalyst low efficiency Cel, how is it fixed??

mteg

Automatic Lover
generally, putting a high flow (or 'test pipe') doesn't work as well as the OBD 2 converters, thus the converter is below threshold. it poses no risk to the actual operation of the vehicle, but if there are smog inspections in your area then that's a problem. QUOTE]

Actually it will hurt performance. I've seen some cars go into limp mode, or run a lot richer. On my buddies civic, it would not go into vtec till he went with an o2 sim.

redwing24

My other ride is a Ruckus
I'll more than likely pick up a carsound/magnaflow cat and get rid of my hi flow. where I live there is no smog test, so thats not a problem. But I believe my gas mileage is hurting alittle in town maybe 20somthing mpg. And my exhaust is way loud without my silencer and I don't like to run a silencer. But for my ears and my daughter's sake, it makes it bearable to be inside of it.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
if your gonna buy an o2 sensor, dont buy anything below oem standards...youll regret it later.

silver_dc435

Chris
generally, putting a high flow (or 'test pipe') doesn't work as well as the OBD 2 converters, thus the converter is below threshold. it poses no risk to the actual operation of the vehicle, but if there are smog inspections in your area then that's a problem. QUOTE]

Actually it will hurt performance. I've seen some cars go into limp mode, or run a lot richer. On my buddies civic, it would not go into vtec till he went with an o2 sim.
well, if the front O2 sensor goes bad, then yes, the ECM will call for the limp mode. but, will the exact code of 'catalytic converter below threshold' call for a limp mode? i assumed it wouldn't: having a converter with this problem in no way poses a threat to the reliability of the engine. it's what the ECM does that hurts performance: putting it into limp mode. i guess i'm wrong in assuming it's not a 'limp mode' error. but it would make sense with the VTEC, if there's any CELs then it shouldn't work until it's fixed. either way, getting a factory-spec converter is the best way to go in my opinion.

mikeb

I'm tring to get my 98 to pass as this week. I failed it 2X's. I checked all the v-lines, bought the o2 sensor sim off ebay, and that fit in the 1st 02 sensor spot, but would not fit where it needs to go, that s the 2nd sensor location. The part is 3 inch, and the space between the 02 and the floor is only a inch.
I remember some one saying that they had the same problem and all that was wrong was a fuse some place? Could that be real at this point?
When i pulled the 1st 02 sensor, it looked very good. it was white, grayish, on the lean side but looked like it would do the job. I'm having trouble getting the 2end one off. tight fit. the tool i have for the 1st one will not fit on the 2nd.