Just My Crappy Luck

simple97GSR

so the snow up here in polar bear land has finally somewhat melted. a week ago i brushed the last bit of ice off the roof of the Integra, started it up after a long cold darkness winter months of sitting and everything seem normal....so far.

took the car around a couple of blocks and next thing i notice is i hear a small "thunk" in the engine bay area and realize i was puffing white smoke out back. then to cap it off the cel light lights up a few seconds later.

i opened the hood a little worried and discovered i had engine oil oozing at the corner of the head where it meets the block. i was leaking oil from the head, becasue of the smoke.

i've finally tooken the head off and am replacing the head gasket. i use to own a civic and now am new to integras.

my question is, do i need head gasket sealant for this integra head gasket? i notice its made of metal layer...is that normal?

again, i'm new to integras.

thanks

patrick4588

Integra God
not to worry man. replacing the headgasket is simple. you really dont even need any sealant. i put a very light layer of hondabond around the oil jackets on the head and block and spray the gasket with copper gasket. thats all you will need. gl. just to make sure its good to go, i would get the head milled since they warp a little when you take them off.

simple97GSR

not to worry man. replacing the headgasket is simple. you really dont even need any sealant. i put a very light layer of hondabond around the oil jackets on the head and block and spray the gasket with copper gasket. thats all you will need. gl. just to make sure its good to go, i would get the head milled since they warp a little when you take them off.

can i just clean the surface of the block and surface of the head and lay the gasket between them and torque the head bolts? thanks man

patrick4588

Integra God
depends. if you removed the head by following a certain sequence and only loosening a little each round, then the head probably didnt warp. if you just removed each head bolt at a time, it will most likely need to be milled. if you just put it back on, there is a chance it will leak. i would at least spray it with copper gasket. its like 3 dollars for a can of it at any parts store

jdm_mike19

i just did my head gasket saturday i have pics ill post them but i just bought copper spray it was 7 49 at kraigen its worth it though just remember when spraying make sure u get eerything sprayed both sides its a real sticky shit. so try keep off ur hands my buddy didnt tell me was sticky so i didnt wear gloves lol...

simple97GSR

i just did my head gasket saturday i have pics ill post them but i just bought copper spray it was 7 49 at kraigen its worth it though just remember when spraying make sure u get eerything sprayed both sides its a real sticky shit. so try keep off ur hands my buddy didnt tell me was sticky so i didnt wear gloves lol...

thanks jdm mike, be sure to update us with those pics, i'm anxious. i'm curious of how you all took your heads off. i followed along on the helms but when it came to taking the im off according to helms, it was a pain, so i left it stil attached to the head, then yanked it out altogether with the head.

patrick4588

Integra God
i live the intake manifold on, its much easier that way