94 GSR Engine Start Problem

datoad

Hey guys, I have a 94 GSR and I have a problem when I start my car sometimes. sometimes when I turn the key to start the car, there will be a high pitch squeeling sound but the engine doesn't crank to start. This doesn't happen often but I was wondering what is causing this and also if there is something wrong with my engine?
Thanks in advance!

LSvtecboi

it makes a belt squeal but the engine doesn't turn over...?

striker.2006

REDJDM
Does the car try to start but nothing or does it just make that noise? Have you had your battery and alternator check out to see if they both are working properly?

TypeR?

your starter is about to take a dump.
does the motor crank at all when this happens?
if not than your starter is not being pushed out to the flywheel to turn it and it is just spinning in the housing.
replace starter, problem solved.

datoad

Thanks for all the help everyone, ya I'm probably going to take it to a mechanic to fix it.Got quoted around $200 to fix ><

TypeR?

its really easy to replace the starter and will probably save you $100 to do it yourself.

1st- disconnect the negative terminal on the battery
2nd-remove air intake
3rd remove power and ground wire from starter
4th- remove the two 14mm bolts that bolt the starter to the bell housing. you will need an extension to get to these bolts but once you pull them out then out comes the starter:thumbup:

datoad

its really easy to replace the starter and will probably save you $100 to do it yourself.

1st- disconnect the negative terminal on the battery
2nd-remove air intake
3rd remove power and ground wire from starter
4th- remove the two 14mm bolts that bolt the starter to the bell housing. you will need an extension to get to these bolts but once you pull them out then out comes the starter:thumbup:
You make it sound so easy :) I just grabbed a haynes manual from the library and it does look quite easy. Would it be a bad idea if I grabbed a used starter motor from the junk yard?