How do I adjust my alternator belt? HELP

end005

lol, yeah... I guess you're right..

Is the battery light on at all? It might be something in the wires.

also, is there a ground cable? Check the ones from your head to your frame, and the ones from trans to the frame. it could be something in the electrical parts.

EDIT: So i just realized youre in wisconsin... haha, where you at?
nope. no battery light. people keep asking me to check my grounds, but if they are referring to the one from the alt, i have no idea where it would be. the head to chassis is good. the tranny to chassis is good. the thermostate ground is also good.

before, on my previous alternator, when I take off the negative while the car is on, it would continue to run till I put a load on it. I just got done taking off, putting back my alternator. made sure all the belts were tight. The lights are real bright, everything seems to work good. I turn all accessories off, take of my negative and the car dies.

I know this isn't an accurate test, but I figured since I was able to pull it off last time on the previous alternator, perhaps this time would work. would different alternators react differently with this 'test'?

and yeah, i'm in WI dude. check your pm.
________
Iolite Does Not Shut Off

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
the reason you're able to pull off the negative battery cable is because the alternator then runs the car.

You don't need the battery once the car is running.

The alternator ground is where it mounts to the engine itself. thats why all the other grounds are your grounds that you need to check.

This is really messing with my head. lol, I want to figure it out. wtf?! lol

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
before, on my previous alternator, when I take off the negative while the car is on, it would continue to run till I put a load on it.
You really shouldn't do that. Besides the fact that it tells you nothing...............If the voltage regulator was to fail (which is common) it could fry a shitload of sensors and/or your wiring harness. Due its power capacity and sheer size, the battery acts as a buffer from potentially dangerous voltage fluctuations

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^^ as god steps in...

You got any ideas kyle?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Alternators have a tendency to crap out, even if they are brand new. Or your old alternator could have just killed your new battery to the point of not holding a charge. Start with testing both, the alternator and battery the proper way.

end005

the reason you're able to pull off the negative battery cable is because the alternator then runs the car.
You don't need the battery once the car is running.
l
I know. the battery is what the car uses to start up. from there on the alternator is what keeps the car going, at the same time charging the battery.

dc2GS-R, i tested the alternator today. 14.2 with load, 14.6 without a load on it. the battery is also new, the max a week old. this new battery was never used on my old alternator.
________
Big dick amateur

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Well if your battery and alternator are good then you may just have a short or drain. Chasing that down isn't very fun at all and a little time consuming but if you run out of ideas and want to try it then I can tell you how. lol

end005

Well if your battery and alternator are good then you may just have a short or drain. Chasing that down isn't very fun at all and a little time consuming but if you run out of ideas and want to try it then I can tell you how. lol
let me get my battery tested first and take the car to get tested. i have a feeling you'll be getting a pm real soon.

keeps your fingers crossed though. thanks man. i appreciate the help.
________
GEORGIAN COOKING

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Well get it tested. If you end up wanting to check for shorts or battery drains then let me know and I'll post a quick little write up on it

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
wait... from the explination you gave me on how it all works, you replace the pulley on the alternator, correct?

could it be that that pully is slipping and not turning the alternator at full potential?

end005

wait... from the explination you gave me on how it all works, you replace the pulley on the alternator, correct?

could it be that that pully is slipping and not turning the alternator at full potential?
yes, i have to replace the alternator pulley with the one that came with the supercharger set. I highly doubt it that the pulley is slipping.
________
Shower tubes

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
It still sounds like an alternator problem to me if the lights are fluctuating and it's cutting power to your stereo and what not. Check all the connections. If the ground on the alternator isn't connected good it will cause all of your symptoms.