Viper Car Alarm System...i hate it!

Marquezz

I just recently had my car alarm system in my Integ go bananas on me. As I was going to my car to do some errands and trying to unlock my car using the remote fob, my alarm system wouldnt unlock my doors. After repeatedly punching the buttons on the remote, I tried to unlock my car manually with my keys. Obviously the alarm goes off so I tried hitting the buttons again...nothing but NOISE. So I close my door and after about 30 seconds or so, silence from the alarm. I figured it might be the battery dying in the fob remote. So I buy a new alkaline battery and replace it, go to my car and give it another try. Viper would still not open my doors! I was like WTF is going on here? Because the alarm system wouldnt start my engine, I call a car assistance agency to help me out. Even they couldnt figure out what was going on, so I spent extra cash just to get my car towed to a shop. Mechanics thought the reason why the alarm system went haywire was because they believed that my Integra got broken into. That was not the case. So after the whole shenanigan, I had to go disable my alarm system and kinda feel naked without it.

This might not mean anything to you guys, but im just raving and ranting about my Viper Alarm incident. They do sound good as you lock/unlock your doors (the beet beet sound), and they are a noticible sound if being broken into, but overall I just got sucked into the name. Seems like everytime I hear that brand, something is bound to go wrong. I dont know about you guys, if some of you have it, it will go crazy on you. Just my opinion....

DB8-TUNER

Hmm, interesting, what model Viper alarm do you have? As I assume, you have the alarm + remote start one? Is your car manual or automatic? I got a Viper 791XV alarm+remote start but cant find anyone to install it because my car is manual.

Marquezz

oh man, i forget the model and i just have the keyless entry. my car is also automatic...why dont u get installation done at a shop that does electricals?

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
DEI is a good brand, they make clifford, viper, python, etc.

DB8-TUNER

oh man, i forget the model and i just have the keyless entry. my car is also automatic...why dont u get installation done at a shop that does electricals?
I'm sure even shops that do electricals wont do it because they probably dont want to be reliable for accidents. for example if i leave my car in first and try to start it and have it hop on me. With my luck, there will a very nice car parked in front of me like the Ford GT's that i work with lol.

posHonda

I'm sure even shops that do electricals wont do it because they probably dont want to be reliable for accidents. for example if i leave my car in first and try to start it and have it hop on me. With my luck, there will a very nice car parked in front of me like the Ford GT's that i work with lol.
This is sad, but true. Shops know that people these days will sue for anything which people can and WILL sue to get money when they remote start their car in gear on accident and it hits something else. Theyll just blame it on the shop for having it put on in the first place and they can win that case. Remote starts really are intended for autos.

Im sure an alarm install couldnt have been too hard on your car. Why not tear it down and check up on the wiring and everything yourself? The unit could have possibly gone bad too.

VTECking

I VTAK'd on U!!!
I remember i was in orlando flordia, and there was this corvette and whenever someone even walked by it the alarm would go off, I thought it was pretty funny at the time.

I just recently had my car alarm system in my Integ go bananas on me. As I was going to my car to do some errands and trying to unlock my car using the remote fob, my alarm system wouldnt unlock my doors. After repeatedly punching the buttons on the remote, I tried to unlock my car manually with my keys. Obviously the alarm goes off so I tried hitting the buttons again...nothing but NOISE. So I close my door and after about 30 seconds or so, silence from the alarm. I figured it might be the battery dying in the fob remote. So I buy a new alkaline battery and replace it, go to my car and give it another try. Viper would still not open my doors! I was like WTF is going on here? Because the alarm system wouldnt start my engine, I call a car assistance agency to help me out. Even they couldnt figure out what was going on, so I spent extra cash just to get my car towed to a shop. Mechanics thought the reason why the alarm system went haywire was because they believed that my Integra got broken into. That was not the case. So after the whole shenanigan, I had to go disable my alarm system and kinda feel naked without it.

This might not mean anything to you guys, but im just raving and ranting about my Viper Alarm incident. They do sound good as you lock/unlock your doors (the beet beet sound), and they are a noticible sound if being broken into, but overall I just got sucked into the name. Seems like everytime I hear that brand, something is bound to go wrong. I dont know about you guys, if some of you have it, it will go crazy on you. Just my opinion....

HAHA, ok here is a good topic! ok take it from me, a shop owner who does car stereo, and mobile electronics everyday. DEI (who makes viper) is one of the best type of alarms you can buy HANDS DOWN!! wether you go with a bottom line model like the viper 350HV or the top model like a viper 791XV DEI is great. The only other brand you can go with that would be better is compustar. Sounds to me like a very shitty install job by whomever installed the alarm. dont turn your back on viper, if installed properly they a great!

Hmm, interesting, what model Viper alarm do you have? As I assume, you have the alarm + remote start one? Is your car manual or automatic? I got a Viper 791XV alarm+remote start but cant find anyone to install it because my car is manual.

yea you should leave you car in neutral anyway because leaving it in gear puts pressure on your clutch. but there are pieces that you can buy from compustar that give you clutch bypass and allow you to crank your manuel car without having it go through a wall. ive had it on almost all of my cars. and no most shopd wont because if something malfunctions they can be to blame, I wont install them at my shop unless its under the table, cash only, and no record of the labor, so if you kill somebody, your problem, not mine

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
DEI (who makes viper) is one of the best type of alarms you can buy HANDS DOWN!! wether you go with a bottom line model like the viper 350HV or the top model like a viper 791XV DEI is great. Sounds to me like a very shitty install job by whomever installed the alarm. dont turn your back on viper, if installed properly they a great!
I agree 100%. DEI is the best, and I'd say if your DEI piece is malfunctioning there's a 99% chance it's because it's not installed correctly, it's not the unit itself.