Backfire!!! NEED HELP!!!!

JDM96Integra

Ok, so I am having a problem. I was driving my car around pretty hard through the country raods awhile back and all of the sudden, whille I had my foot to the floor...it's started to backfire repeatedly and would not accelerate. I could accelerate if I didn't push the pedal down more than half way...I could TAC it out, but as soon as I got on it, it would POP,POP,POP!

So, I decided to pull the car in and do some TLC to my car that was much overdue.....

~New Head gasket
~New Cap (whole distributer is less than a year old...cap was cracked...rotor was still in good shape)
~New Throttle Body Gasket
~New Intake Manifold Gasket
~New Spark Plug Seals In Valve Cover
~New NGK Irridium Spark Plugs
~New Omni TPS Sensor
~New Fuel Filter (thought that might be why it was backfiring....it was extremely clogged/dirty, but it did not stop the back firing)
~Reset The Timing

Now, after all of that, it still does it and here is a key point....it only does it when it gets warm. I can floor it when it's cold and it will not putter at all! PLEASE HELP ME GUYS!!!

Backwoodz Tuner

You might have a faulty o2 sensor. Cause it takes a while of driving to warm it like 10-15 min and before your ecu runs of it, it runs like in a differnt mode. Try swappin yours with a known good one.hope this helps

K. Legaspi

You Buggin' Out
To tell you the truth, when I had my teg, I used to touge at night at some windy roads with my friend who has his 325xi, whenever I was on "touge" mode, My car would always spit fire. My friend, who follows, always sees fire come out. And as for telling you the truth, I thought it was cool. lol I know ricer.

But in your case, maybe too much fuel is going in your motor and it's spitting the excess fuel out. I dunno just a theory. Flooded maybe?

But hey what do I know, I'm 17. lol

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
To tell you the truth, when I had my teg, I used to touge at night at some windy roads with my friend who has his 325xi, whenever I was on "touge" mode, My car would always spit fire. My friend, who follows, always sees fire come out. And as for telling you the truth, I thought it was cool. lol I know ricer.

But in your case, maybe too much fuel is going in your motor and it's spitting the excess fuel out. I dunno just a theory. Flooded maybe?

But hey what do I know, I'm 17. lol
Nice! My friends see smoke from my stock exhaust.

bubba03

You can try this, with the car running loosen the three bolts that hold the distributor and move it towards the back or front of the car and see if the engine changes idle, tighten the bolts and take it for a spin. If its worse move it the opposite way.
My girlfriend's civic would sputter and bog down under acceleration and I used this method and with in a few tweaks she was perfect.

The only cause for back firing is the timing being off and this is the only way to adjust the timing. Also you can use this same method with a timing light and marking the crank pulley and figure out what the timing is supposed to be and move the distributor accordingly to line the mark on the crank with the proper timing mark.

JDM96Integra

You can try this, with the car running loosen the three bolts that hold the distributor and move it towards the back or front of the car and see if the engine changes idle, tighten the bolts and take it for a spin. If its worse move it the opposite way.
My girlfriend's civic would sputter and bog down under acceleration and I used this method and with in a few tweaks she was perfect.

The only cause for back firing is the timing being off and this is the only way to adjust the timing. Also you can use this same method with a timing light and marking the crank pulley and figure out what the timing is supposed to be and move the distributor accordingly to line the mark on the crank with the proper timing mark.
I can try that, but another guy mentioned to me that my car might be running in safe mode....and from the soudns of what my car is doing, I think that might be it. Have any of you ever heard of ("touge mode"?) I am going to have to go through and find and replace the bad sensors and see if that helps. I have a feeling my knock sensor is bad and also my O2 sensor....hoping that is the only 2.

Last edited:

molezy7

i had the same problem once and it ended up being a spark plug. Start checking the little shit before you start replacing expensive sensors and what not.