Quiet Muffler choices? please help..

simple97GSR

ok, the original owner of my current gsr, had installed a kteller exhuast with a huge ebay ricer folger can tip.

my question is, if i replace that folger with..lets say an apexi universal muffler or an oem ITR muffler, will that lower alot of the noise?

the annoying sound of it for me is, when just cruising, that sound "VoooOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOMMMMM" inside the cabin of the car gets so loud and obnoxious after awhile i cant even hear myself talk and thats
even with the windows up. I want it to sound quiet and stock, but i do not want to compromise the performance gains of the aftermarket exhaust.

so would just installing a flat oval type of muffler on the aftermarket exhaust reduce alot of the cabin noise and noise outside of the car???

i am willing to lose some horsepower to get those ear creature comforts back.

any tips or advice on where to start on this will greatly be appreciated. Thanks guys.

oh and i will soon post pics of the car, and the hideous round folger can muffler on the kteller exhaust shortly.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
ITR muffler or full cat-back FTW! Or for other cat-back choices, you can get the A'PEXi WS2 or the RS-R ExMag.

Last edited:

simple97GSR

ITR muffler or full cat-back FTW! Or for other cat-back choices, you can get the A'PEXi WS2 or the RS-R ExMag.
thanks for the tidbits JDMDB8. i'm a little low on cash right now, so i can only afford a muffler at this point.

oem ITR is a bit pricey. well even if i do go ITR axelback, will the sound be quieter?? i am speaking interior and exterior wise. last thing i need is to wake up the cat in the neighborhood at night.

what about just A'PEXI WS2 Muffler? interior noise is what i'm really concerned about.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
thanks for the tidbits JDMDB8. i'm a little low on cash right now, so i can only afford a muffler at this point.

oem ITR is a bit pricey. well even if i do go ITR axelback, will the sound be quieter?? i am speaking interior and exterior wise. last thing i need is to wake up the cat in the neighborhood at night.

what about just A'PEXI WS2 Muffler? interior noise is what i'm really concerned about.
You can get the ITR muffler brand new for $225 at www.jhpusa.com. The universal Apexi WS2 is pretty much the same except that it's bigger and is polished. You can just get the muffler (either one) and get custom piping. I recommend getting 2.25" for the ITR and 2.36" for the WS2. Make sure to get a resonator to help silence the noise level and if you want, you can get a high-flow cataytic converter.

igotvtec16

^how much do resonators actually reduce the noise??because im looking at gettin custom 2.5" piping w/a vibrant performance muffler and Im debatin over whether or not to get a resonator also

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
^how much do resonators actually reduce the noise??because im looking at gettin custom 2.5" piping w/a vibrant performance muffler and Im debatin over whether or not to get a resonator also
If you're getting a straight-through muffler, you're definitely gonna need a resonator. Magnaflow and Vibrant make excellent resonators. Shit, I'd still get one for a chambered muffler.

simple97GSR

well i went to check the link you posted jhpusa and it says the ITR muffler will only bolt with stock b-pipe/flange. now my teg does not have a stock catback ( Kteller ), does that mean i'm screwed and cant use the itr muffler? thanks for your input JDMDB8.

igotvtec16

ok i hate to thread jack but since i kinda already did earlier ,i guess i might as well ask another question...where the fuck can i find vibrant products??ive been looking for websites for 20+ minutes now and ive only found one so far

onexsilence

silence is everything..
I'm currently running a S2K muffler with 2.25 piping. Its very quiet and runs similar to a twin loop design ( I Could be wrong). I'm on the freeway on a daily basis and still able to hear my music and talk phone (using a headset) without any issues. It does get loud as you put load on the engine (above 4k rpm).

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
Get a couple glass packs.

or a stock muffler. that'd be quiet. You can't really have a "stock" sound out of an aftermarket exhaust

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
well i went to check the link you posted jhpusa and it says the ITR muffler will only bolt with stock b-pipe/flange. now my teg does not have a stock catback ( Kteller ), does that mean i'm screwed and cant use the itr muffler? thanks for your input JDMDB8.
Yes, the ITR muffler from JHPUSA is bascially an axle-back. It will bolt on to the stock b-pipe. They sell the ITR b-pipe if you want bigger piping. I believe it's 2.25". But since you have custom piping, you're going to have to do some minor modifications. You can do that or just save up and get the WS2 or ExMag.

WS2 -$430
ExMag -$600

ok i hate to thread jack but since i kinda already did earlier ,i guess i might as well ask another question...where the fuck can i find vibrant products??ive been looking for websites for 20+ minutes now and ive only found one so far
Just keep searching. Google is your friend. I'll help you find some websites later today. I'm at work right now.

Last edited: