Resetting the ECU

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
gets rid of any stored codes.

I don't see any performance gains from doing it tho.... You'll throw the code right away again if it's a problem

konerri

you shold do this whenever you install a new performance part on your car. "reseting" your ECU will cause the ECU to relearn your setup.

XeroGlowGs

DA:my work in progress
where is the ecu at?
cause my auto mechanics teacher and I could not find it for the life of us.
I pulled back the carpet on the passenger side,and didnt see it anywhere.
is it under the seat or something or uder the dash or what?

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
lol. i believe the ECU is behind the kick panel on the passenger side. if that's the case for DA's im not sure exactly.

Last edited:

XeroGlowGs

DA:my work in progress
well i found the ecu,but there is no flashing LED,do I have to unbolt the top of the ecu or anything?
sorry if im getting on your guy's nerves

trace01m

There is a connector right near it that you need to put a jumper wire into.

Paper clip works great for this. Then you countthe blinks.

Man A

homewreker
well i found the ecu,but there is no flashing LED,do I have to unbolt the top of the ecu or anything?
sorry if im getting on your guy's nerves
if there isnt a little clear plastic view window on the ecu then you must have a 92+ teg. no? 91 - have the led. also if you jump the wires like trace01m said, the blinking light you would be counting is the check engine light on the gauge cluster. just so you dont get confused

this is going off topic lol.

when i first installed my cold air intake, i reset my ecu by removing the fuse in the under hood fuse box. you would do this for maybe 1-3 min. then when you put it back in start the car and let it warm up. dont rev it just let it warm up let the fan come on then you can turn the car off. since i added the cai there was more air getting in thats why i mentioned air/fuel mix earlier. Also you dont always have to do this. The ecu will eventually learn and it wont take a long time. maybe just about a dozen times driving it around. I found this out when i put a cai on my DB1. I just went and drove it. A few days later i had realized the difference. im blabbing sorry. up late cant sleep

Last edited: