My gsr won't shift into reverse

Kingwolf

Dippin in my hatch
Hi I have a 96 gsr and its a manual. It wont shift into reverse and yet when I shift it to the other gears it shifts fine, no grinds, no pops, nothing. I was told to get a new shifter but I'm sure its more then that. The tranny and engine sounds good and kicks ass but the reverse is essential either that or i just push the car back out of parking spaces and I'm not gonna be doing that all summer long. If anyone has any advice please by all means help me thank you.

TheCrimsonStar

How does it not shift into reverse? Is it grinding and not letting you go into reverse? Is your shifter unable to go into reverse? Or is it not catching when you let off the clutch?

sweendog1969

I have an 01 gsr and has the same problem. Gears 1-5 are great. Reverse has always been put it in reverse w/clutch pressed then push it a little more sometimes and you feel it go into gear (like you pushed it over a little bump) and it didn't pop out or grind. Then about three days ago it wouldn't go in and stay it would grind/pop out. You could forcefully hold it but it would grind and you could feel it pushing out (like the gear wasn't round). Now it doesn't want to go into reverse with car off.

imchongx3

Go into first second and third, then reverse. Idk why but it seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Reverse is always notchy in these transmissions. Every older Honda Ive owned had the same problem. Double clutch it before going into reverse or I found going from 4th into reverse seems to line up the gears and makes the shift smoother.