Won't start

rkramer19

Ok so i just got my car and for a few ours i had it it started and ran great...but after about 5 or 6 key cycles it wont crank. It has a new distributor, plugs, and wires. I tested the battery and it is fine, and the alternator tested fine. The only thing left I can think of is the starter? Any ideas? I dont know much about the ignition systems on these cars.

When i say it wont crank i mean it will not spark but all my electronics in the car work fine (lights, dash, etc.) And yes the clutch is all the way down for those that might think im a tard lol

robert478

Yeah I get same thing sometimes. I'm a broke 16 year old so i need to save up for one. They're cheap about 50 Dollars at my local import auto store.
It's the main relay located under driver side dash. It look's like a small box with a bunch of wires attached to it.
Just turn key and if your arm's long enough reach under there and jiggle it and it starts right up.

rkramer19

no it doesnt turn or even attempt to turn over, there is no spark whatsoever

rkramer19

Yeah I get same thing sometimes. I'm a broke 16 year old so i need to save up for one. They're cheap about 50 Dollars at my local import auto store.
It's the main relay located under driver side dash. It look's like a small box with a bunch of wires attached to it.
Just turn key and if your arm's long enough reach under there and jiggle it and it starts right up.
yea im a broke 18 year old because i soent all my money to customize and lower my truck and everything lol

rkramer19

Clutch Pedal switch is good and so is the starter...we have narrowed it down to the starter relay but for the lifde of me I cant figure out where it is

DA9boy

should be on top of the bell housing and if its just click when you turn the key the yeah it is the starter also check your grounds to the main one is the one that goes from the tranny to the frame. Just sit and think for a minute

rkramer19

the starter is fine it has been taken off the car and tested the relay is not even clicking and the car wont even crnk, my grounds are fine, i know 99.8% that the starter relay is the problem.

D-MART90DA9

MY CAR IS A AUTOBOT
ok there are only two other things that could go bad ur main relay or igntion switch 9 times out of 10 its the main relay

rkramer19

ok there are only two other things that could go bad ur main relay or igntion switch 9 times out of 10 its the main relay
someone else told me that so i am running to the junkyard in a couple hours to grab one just to see if that is the problem...figure ill spend 3 bucks at the junkyard rather that 30 at the parts store