Wierd whining noise

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
Ok so i've only owned my car for all of 5 days so far, and i've noticed that upon a startup there is a whining noise coming from the engine bay, it sounds like it may be coming from the alternator. if i rev it seems to go away around 3000rpm. the whine almost sounds like a supercharger. onces things warm up it's fine and goes away.

The temp here has been cold to mild for my area 14F on average i'd say.

Any ideas? i just hope it's nothing major as i have no money from buying the car.

Winki

Undercover mod
does not sound like any thing major i would try and replaced your belts if ther old though

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
it's a 2001 with 148,000km's(91,000miles) so i wouldn't think the belts would be bad, but i guess it's worth checking

mteg

Automatic Lover
Sounds just like a belt squeel. Your belts might need to be tightened.

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
hmmm could be a slight squeal, it's not the normal squeal that i'm use to maybe thats why it threw me off

ITRnarcotic

Dont Ask
yea sounds like belts to me. especially when the noise goes away at a higher rpm

potmilkz

well do you have a sound system hooked up to a sub? if it is then i can answer your question..

Bizkit64

Yo?
Mhmm I have the same problem... When i go to a stop at a light i hear a slight wine... Think it might be a belt? I dunno what it is and I think it has got louder in the past weeks.

DaMn Dat Dc2

my car does the same thing but it doesn't sound like any belts are doing it.The sound is kinda cool but annoying sometimes.It doesn't screech or nothing.To me I think it's the intake sucking in air or something.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
well...if you get a slight grown then it is the air passing over your intake but these guys are talking screeching...

LSvtecboi

best bet is the belts.. it doesnt really matter how old they are, if some oil or brake fluid or anything like that got onto them they will squeal for awhile. since it sounds like a whistling. just turn the car on and let it idle.. loosen the top bolt of the alternator and use a pry bar to pull the alternator back some until it stops. very easy fix... and if you want you can replace all the belts ..

TypeR?

x2 for lsvtecboi's post
also if that doesnt work when your driving turn down the radio and listen for it to make the sound through the radio, if it is throttle sensitive(like it gets louder the more you push the gas) then it might be time to replace your alternator.