When does VTEC open?

99Geezer

Just wondering, when does everyone else's VTEC open, mine feels like it opens between 4500-5000. I thought that the OEM settings opened it around 5500? so just wondering.

99Geezer

You gonna have to excuse me i'm still new to integras. So it should open around 4400 and feel stronger at 5700? something like that? I still haven't taken my car to 8000 yet, only to 6000 due to me just babying it.

Last edited:

Sirfallsalot243

Yeah, youll HEAR vtec at 4400, but the stronger kick in power wont be until 5700 when the IABs open. This of course is for a stock motor. I have a built motor, and my VTEC doesnt cross over until 5950.

99Geezer

Its a little difficult to hear it on a completly stock motor, but thank you this answers my question

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
You won't hear or feel VTEC activate on a stock motor. Your not suppose to.

rlittle0009

95 db8
I could hear and feel it pretty good on my stock gsr. Now that I got aftermarket exhaust hear it loud and clear.:lol: :D

gotlud3

w00t, i thought something was wrong with my motor when i tried engaging vtec on my gsr. because i heard that the gsr is suppose to hit at 4k-5k but don't feel anything till 5700-6000 ish rpm.........sweeeeeeet:lol:

jack112286

almost all dohc vtec u can hear and feel.
on the s2k its like extacsy..however, on my R, its quite mild, which is good....
and defitnitly diff sound...and diff honda vtec open at diff rpm..and the rpm guage is not that accurate during mid rpm, like 4 - 5k rpm...it usually is off about 1-200 rpm, and when u are at 8500, about 400 rpm off.

Sirfallsalot243

My VTEC crossover isnt smooth at all. When it changes to high profile, I feel a torque pull and lurch back in my seat. My dyno graph even has a jump in whp and wtq at VTEC engagement. No matter where we put VTEC, there was still a jump in power, but the best spot was at 5900 for me.