What should i do with a 90 ls sedan. swap or switch heads??

rollinon3dms

Yeahhhhh Boyyyy
what would you do. im on a budget and trying to soup this thing up... should i spend the money and put a b18b motor swap in it?? or put in a b16 or B17 head on it (i've heard people do that. not sure how it works) what would be a better choice?? whats the differences in HP change between the two?? the motor swap or head swap. and what would be the best things to do first to help out torque and HP easily? starting from an absolute stock 1990 Integra LS 4 Door...

rollinon3dms

Yeahhhhh Boyyyy
well it doesnt really matter... i mean im not trying to dump like 4,000 grand in it... but you know, just little shit here and there mostly.. and maybe get ideas of some bigger plans.. how much do the b18b1 swaps cost? install and all components? and also if i switched the heads what else to i have to do, cause i know the regular b18 arnt vtech so i think i would have to mess with the computers of some sort (sorry im a bit of a newbie to soupin tegs up..) i hella appreciate your guys's help

DA_Integra

Not White, Pearl White
Your cheapest way would to just do a ls/vtec swap.

heykosal

Angkorian
LS/VTEC swaps are made easy these days. All you need is an LS/VTEC swap kit, the engine/tranny/and pretty much any VTEC ECU. Im pretty sure the existing motor in your car is a B18 so basically all youll need is a VTEC head and the above mentioned components.

Oh and a lot of research!

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
How much you want to spend makes a big diffference for telling you which route to take. But like aforementioned LS/VTEC swaps are easy. There's really no point to doing a b18b swap, the performance you'll see will be minimal and is not worth the time or money.

hondahead_dave

first, how many miles are on the teg? that would also be a factor due to if he wants to build the bottom end or not. I spent 5 grand on my ls-vtec swap and I didn't know that ls motors are not good to be ran at a high rpm for long periods of time, I found out the hard way racing an sti on the highway and the next day it started knocking bad, tried to take it to the shop and threw a rod through the block....... I think that was the sadest day of my life. I was so used to my b17 and the high revs of that motor. If done right, ls-vtec motors can be alot of fun, but be careful.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
So don't rev it that high, whats the big deal. 8k call it a day. It also doesn't really matter how many miles are on the block, if it runs good it runs good. We've done ls/vtec setups on stock blocks with over 200k miles on them and they're still running fine.

hondahead_dave

I was just new to the ls world, I was used to my b17 hitting 8200 rpm's with no prob. I was stupid to be sitting at 140+ thinking everything was ok, then it sounded like something was comming loose in the motor, I think it was a rod bolt, and then poof! car filled with smoke and I heard metal bouncing down the street.I loved that motor, it pulled so hard, but I'm happy with my gs-r turbo now, but I would love to have another ls-vtec.

hondahead_dave

my b17 was stock, had 190,000 on it, I was scared and didn't want to mess it up. I have a jdm b18c now, still have the b17, debating on putting it back in or not.

rollinon3dms

Yeahhhhh Boyyyy
yeah but i like high RPM's like taking REALLY curvy roads... like 20mph corners at like 45 50mph... so im usually in the high rpms for awhile mashing around corners... and the roads i drive are sharp corners back to back for a loooong time... so i need an engine that will take that sort of abuse... and what you guys recommend for adjustable coilovers??? do you think the GSR would be a good choice in engine for that style driving?? cause its a spendy engine..