Transmission or Axle ??

Peruviann

i have a 94 ls new LS motor with a used rebuild Tranny ( car is Auto)

everytime my car goes into third it makes htis weird noise i think its coming from the tranny its like is something is lose and its hitting something cling cling cling type of noise only in third could that be from the tranny or axle i just replaced my right one imma go replace my left one probably tomorrow ??

please help me out i neeed to know what it is im broke atm so i can start to save up m,oney

i swear i hat ethis car my gf told me shouldve gotten a civic or something else with all the money u put into this car im pissed i always have a problem i need to fix this is gettin soo annoying i just wish i never bought this car

Sirfallsalot243

Doesnt sound like an axle. A bad axle makes a "click click click" noise during a turn. If the noise you are hearing is when the car shifts into third, I would think its the transmission. Does it happen at any other gears or speeds?

Dont fret, you can buy used LS auto trannys for under $200.

Peruviann

from today at the shop only in third and when im on the freeway in fourth never happpens i was told i can get a used tranny from japan for 750 installed

Sirfallsalot243

Thats not bad, but a hell of a lot more than I'd pay. Id get a used one on a forum or ebay for $200, and put it in myself. Even if its bad, you can buy 3 of them for $200 before you get near spending $750 on one.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
installed I don't think 750 is a bad price... If you can do it yourself go for it! but if you're iffy about doing it then let leave it to the professionals... You're right, that it a lot of money, but look around and see if you can get a bettter quote on it. also see if you can buy a tranny and have them put it in so you're only paying labor. Maybe it'll be cheaper for ya that way.

integra4life29

Im in a band DO ME!!!!!
Most of the time if an auto tranny is just messed up in one gear it doesn't mean the whole thing is trashed...it could just be the solenoid that controls the shift valve for that gear range, but the only way to tell that is to hook it up to a scan tool, which is done at a dealership more than likely.

Peruviann

yeah i have been looking around im just tripping now i dont have money for it and i been driving like that for a while and it shifts fine and accels find i just really wanan know what the hell the noise is

Peruviann

integra4life29 said:
Most of the time if an auto tranny is just messed up in one gear it doesn't mean the whole thing is trashed...it could just be the solenoid that controls the shift valve for that gear range, but the only way to tell that is to hook it up to a scan tool, which is done at a dealership more than likely.

wouldnt it cost alot to get it fixed compared to getting a new one imma go to aamco to get a free inspection hopefully they can tell me whats wrong

integra4life29

Im in a band DO ME!!!!!
if you swapped the tranny yourself it would be cheaper to just get the whole thing.....but if its something simple like a shift solenoid it would be cheaper then someone installing a used tranny.....atleast it should be.

Peruviann

i hope so sounds like somethingis lose and moving around when im in third hope its nothingt oo major im bougt to get my tax return and i can barely afford anything soo broke

integra4life29

Im in a band DO ME!!!!!
its highly unlikely that something is just dangling around in your tranny....auto transmissions are basically splined in one big unit with clutches in between....I'm really doubting that something just came loose cuz if something did you'd have more problems then just 3rd going out.

Peruviann

integra4life29 said:
its highly unlikely that something is just dangling around in your tranny....auto transmissions are basically splined in one big unit with clutches in between....I'm really doubting that something just came loose cuz if something did you'd have more problems then just 3rd going out.
thing is my car shifts perfectly fine and it just makes noise in third but it drives fine this is odd to me

Peruviann

ill prob end up driving it till the tranny fucks up and save up money for a new tranny unless the prob is small and can be fixed with 200 dollars or less