Transmission Oil Change.

ddawgs2000

I have small question. I have 95 Integra SE with an Automatic transmission. I was wondering how easy it was to change the transmission oil/fluid. I’ve done it before on my Saturn. I just need to know what kind of fluid or oil I need. And were to drain and fill the transmission at. Pictures would help thanks.

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
there should be a yellow dipstick to the left of your intake pipe.

warm car up to operating temperatue and park on level ground. pull out dipstick and check level. it should be between the 2 marks that are on the stick. if its low or you want to change it out you must use either honda tranny fluid or DEXRON auto tranny fluid.

to drain the fluid there should be a drain plug on the bottom of the tranny. there is also a washer there as well that i suggest replacing if you take out the plug.

hope this was helpful

ddawgs2000

Great, thats all I needed to know. thanks. To-hell with paying honda 89.95 plus tax. I'll take care of it myself on saturday. Oh almost forgot. How many quarts do I need? Again thanks for your help.

Last edited:

PogKai

B20VTEC
yeah.. to take out the drain plug just use a 3/8in ratchet.. very easy to do.. clean the plug since it will be filled of metal debris and finally use Honda ATF.

Melt

the lone outdoorsman
i dont know if b series auto trannies are like this

but on my old 94 accord i drained and refilled and within a few months i started having problems with my transmission .... wouldnt shift into second while cold and would sometimes redline and not apply power to the road. A lot of people say to only change a little at a time, or to not change it at all if it hasnt been changed .... so definitley talk to honda about it and figure out what is the best method of doing it ... cause maybe my tranny was on its way and it was a coiencidence that it happened after i changed the fluid but who knows.

F series accord trannies are notorious for problems though ... espeically 94-02 but 90-93 isnt unheard of either.

faylo604

hmmm what i learned was... you fill it a bit a time... i dont know how much for the first interval... but i heard you have to shift thru all the gears one by one.. as you go along... or maybe im just thinking about a full flush... cause of the torque converter

ddawgs2000

Fill the tranny while going through the gears? I have never heard of that. According to my satrun tech manual you just drain the tranny, change the filter and fill her back up. But Saturn is made by GM and this a honda and there is no filter, so I think ill buy me a honda tech manual and double check. Dont need to jack up my tranny over something stupid like a transmission oil change.

PogKai

B20VTEC
Melt said:
i dont know if b series auto trannies are like this

but on my old 94 accord i drained and refilled and within a few months i started having problems with my transmission .... wouldnt shift into second while cold and would sometimes redline and not apply power to the road. A lot of people say to only change a little at a time, or to not change it at all if it hasnt been changed .... so definitley talk to honda about it and figure out what is the best method of doing it ... cause maybe my tranny was on its way and it was a coiencidence that it happened after i changed the fluid but who knows.

F series accord trannies are notorious for problems though ... espeically 94-02 but 90-93 isnt unheard of either.
If you drain the ATF oil, it will not drain entirely unlike engine oil.. there still like 2 or 3 quarts in there (in the torque converter and stuff).. so if you changed the oil and have shifting problems that it means that the tranny already had problems.. like my teacher told me, dont wait till the tranny give symptoms.. if it did then something's wrong.

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
yeah i know aamco does it for like $99 lifetime changes, but for you to do it yourself you need like an air compressor and gauges, water and some other shit i can remeber off hand how it goes.