timing issues

steelies_ftw

long story made short, i rebuilt the bottom end for LS/V and am gonna run my LS for a bit longer, did the timing and took my car up to a shop to get valves adjusted, they said that my timing was totally off and that it was loose, yea it might of been off to them but it worked just fine the week before, they asked for the dinky covers and such, and i gave them to them, and then they were saying my belt was made in italy and i was like okay, and they said the timing belt wouldnt tighten, so i told them to go ahead and get a new timiing belt, and so they tried the new one, and now there telling me i need a new water pump???? im like wtf how does that have anything to do with that, the teeth on the water pump arent gonna warp or change over time its freekin metal, so anyways my question is can the water pump be the problem, and also its all stock LS stuff b18b, and i have had no issues with the timing before
the only reason i took it to this shop is cuz i needed a vavle adjustment

97gsrjames

wow man a timing belt that wont tighten.... excuse my language but thats fucked up. i think your trusty mechanic might be a dunce.

how many miles are on your car? its a good idea to change the timing belt and water pump at or around 90k miles. i'd say let them do it, becuase you'll end up doing it down the road anyways, but thats your call.

steelies_ftw

97gsrjames said:
wow man a timing belt that wont tighten.... excuse my language but thats fucked up. i think your trusty mechanic might be a dunce.

how many miles are on your car? its a good idea to change the timing belt and water pump at or around 90k miles. i'd say let them do it, becuase you'll end up doing it down the road anyways, but thats your call.

yea it is effed up, but im doing LS/v in the coming months prolly around december, once i get enuf cash to get taht thing tuned, but yea my friend who builds more motors then this shop said they were retarded and that hes gonna look at it on monday, yea i dont trust them the shop i took it to, i have a freind whose been waiting on an H22 with LSd for like a year from that place, they have the fastest hatch in oklahoma but there still idiots, but yea i have no idea when it was last changed i got the car with like 140 k on it

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
steelies_ftw said:
yea it is effed up, but im doing LS/v in the coming months prolly around december, once i get enuf cash to get taht thing tuned, but yea my friend who builds more motors then this shop said they were retarded and that hes gonna look at it on monday, yea i dont trust them the shop i took it to, i have a freind whose been waiting on an H22 with LSd for like a year from that place, they have the fastest hatch in oklahoma but there still idiots, but yea i have no idea when it was last changed i got the car with like 140 k on it
let them change the water pump anyway, its always good when you do your timing belt to change that as well. they sound like they are stiffing you though.

97gsrjames

steelies_ftw said:
shit man. i wish you lived closer to me. we could just meet up, get some pizza, and i'd help ya with it.

steelies_ftw

97gsrjames said:
shit man. i wish you lived closer to me. we could just meet up, get some pizza, and i'd help ya with it.
yea well i got off work for monday tuesday and wedsnday, and my freind is gonna come over monday and wut not, but thx anyways, pizza??? thats ironic i work at cici's but yea dude, that place is kinda shady, even though they have an 8 sec turbo hatch, alternativemotorsports is there name, located in okc, if you guys just wanna see who im ltkin about

97gsrjames

steelies_ftw said:
yea well i got off work for monday tuesday and wedsnday, and my freind is gonna come over monday and wut not, but thx anyways, pizza??? thats ironic i work at cici's but yea dude, that place is kinda shady, even though they have an 8 sec turbo hatch, alternativemotorsports is there name, located in okc, if you guys just wanna see who im ltkin about
8 second hatch? wow, thats f'in fast my friend

steelies_ftw

97gsrjames said:
8 second hatch? wow, thats f'in fast my friend

yea, well i got it back today, chuck (the guy who worked on my car) said its fine, just not trustworthy, and he said i could even throw on my vtec water pump that im gonna use for LS/V, but yea, 8 sec or somthin, i cant remember, i just got kinda pissed cuz from wut they told earlier before i got my car was that they pretty much did nothing, and well i just recently put on a new head gasket last week, started up the car, and it runs and idles fine, but is burning radiator fluid agian, not a lot, but yea i torqued it to like 90 lbs, and i had the head resurfaced and yea its burning a bit of antifreeze, i suppose i could just retorque it, but yea how many lbs do you guys usually put on when u torque down ur head studs

faylo604

not sure if your asking about this

Tighten the cylinder head bolts in two steps. In the first step tighten all bolts, in sequence, to about 29 Nm (3.0 kgf.m, 22 ft. lbs.) ; in the final step, tighten in the same sequence to 85 Nm (8.7 kgf.m, 63 ft. lbs.) NOTE:

steelies_ftw

faylo604 said:
if it isnt... let me know.. i can try again.. lol

well im just gonna tighten the crap out of it, and if that doesnt work, ill just have my buddy do it, just waste another day or so, but yea, headgaskets dont like me :(, but yea its an LS block with pr3 pistons in it, so im guessin i would want to tighten the head a bit more considering more compression, thx