timing belt snapped!

blueDAteg

So last week my timing belt snapped due to my timing belt adjuster. i guess the spring in it seized and it made my timing belt snap. so i got a new timing belt on, new timing belt adjuster, new water pump, and all new belts for everything else. got it all back together now, no tapping or anything. BUT i have just about no power under 2500 rpms. i have no clue what to do from here, other than do a compression test. is it worth it to keep and try to fix, or just junk it? any advice will help please.

edit - up until 2500 rpms its real loud, like a low growl kind of. and my idle is real lumpy when hot.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
A compression check is a good idea any time the timing belt snaps. It's not necessarily a guarantee that when a piston hits a valve that it will corkscrew it and completely ruin your compression. It could just as well barely tap a valve and slighty bend it.

I'd do a compression check first things first, then start checking that you're timing is set right?

blueDAteg

thats what i was thinking. i dont know if the garage i took it to set the timing right, but im not 100% sure on how to check it. i know the arrows on the cam gears should both be pointing up, but thats it.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Well I would imagine that if you took it to a shop then they would have done the timing right. But that is an assumptions, I have seen worse [dumber] things happen.

Start with a compression test though. It's easy and will tell you half of what you need to know

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
yea compression test definitely...when my timing belt snapped i put everything back together and my compression was 50 psi lower in each cylinder...i took the head off and did a test on the head to see if the valves were bent and they were...they looked completely normal but definitely were not

blueDAteg

so i should pretty much start looking for new valves?

danda2

da-dan
did you know that the cam gears also have indents on the sides that also have to line up when the two arrows are pointing up. did you end up checking the timing? because if the timing was off and the valves were not closing fully that could be why the test showed a leak but now that it is apart look at brian crower valves and cams

Last edited:

BrownRacing69

Drive on the Edge
Well if your timing belt snapped it may have broke something in the motor. Cuz i broke one and it ripped through the block. So you should check that out.