Synthetic Oil VS Conventional

Cutupsum

The car I'm getting is a 98 and the previous owner has been using Synthetic Oil. I have always used Castrol conventional. Will it casue a problem for me to go back to Castrol or should i keep using Synthetic.
It has 118k on it. Stock.

Cutupsum

integra4life29 said:
yeah once you use synthetic you can never go back to conventional.....don't do that!

OK cool---Thansk for the info. What happens if you do? I've read both sides saying you can go back to conventional when you change your oil but some say you cant. I just finished reading several post on here and its up inthe air as to whether you can go back or not. If i go back what is the downside?

Last edited by a moderator:

speedin

The Transporter
integra4life29 said:
yeah once you use synthetic you can never go back to conventional.....don't do that!
thats untrue.

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html said:
Mixing Mineral and Synthetic oils - the new hotness
That's the thing with progress - stuff becomes out-of-date. Fortunately for you, dear reader, the web is a great place to keep things up-to-date, so here's the current thinking on the subject of mixing mineral and synthetic oils. This information is based on the answer to a technical question posed on the Shell Oil website.
There is no scientific data to support the idea that mixing mineral and synthetic oils will damage your engine. When switching from a mineral oil to a synthetic, or vice versa, you will potentially leave a small amount of residual oil in the engine. That's perfectly okay because synthetic oil and mineral-based motor oil are, for the most part, compatible with each other. (The exception is pure synetics. Polyglycols don't mix with normal mineral oils.)
There is also no problem with switching back and forth between synthetic and mineral based oils. In fact, people who are "in the know" and who operate engines in areas where temperature fluctuations can be especially extreme, switch from mineral oil to synthetic oil for the colder months. They then switch back to mineral oil during the warmer months.
There was a time, years ago, when switching between synthetic oils and mineral oils was not recommended if you had used one product or the other for a long period of time. People experienced problems with seals leaking and high oil consumption but changes in additive chemistry and seal material have taken care of those issues. And that's an important caveat. New seal technology is great, but if you're still driving around in a car from the 80's with its original seals, then this argument becomes a bit of a moot point - your seals are still going to be subject to the old leakage problems no matter what newfangled additives the oil companies are putting in their products.

Sirfallsalot243

Generally if your car has high miles and always run on conventional, you want to stick with it. Switching back and forth is fine, unless the car has higher miles. Switching to synthetic will cause the oil to leak in places that the conventional normally wouldnt. I know from experience with my 91LS w/ 160k. It began to leak when i put synthetic in. Ive since sold it, and run synthetic on my current motor that has about 400 miles on it. But I dont see a problem going from synthetic back to conventional.