steering gear boot torn

BlueMistDA

Hi, whats the worst thing that can happen if you steering gear boot is torn. What wil happen if i dont replace it? Cause i just noticed it and it looks like its been torn for awhile...

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
steering gear boot ? WTF is that ?

Edit: you mean like the axle boot ? If so you would want to replace that soon. dirt and shit can get inside the boot and may damage the axel. plus you may be leeking power steering fluid from there but im not sure.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
get it replaced. cause once it begins to lose all of its fluid around. metal to metal grinding will happen. could possibly lose a wheel in the process.

Backwoodz Tuner

You talkin bout your steering linkage boot? The one that runs parellel with your cv axel? I don't think you'll really come into any problems if it ain,t repaired , but if its your cv axel boot you'll wanna fix unless you don't mind hearing a loud knocking noise everytime you make a turn.

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
if its the Cv boot, and u loose grease, you will lock it up, snap it. So repair it now before the costs go up

BlueMistDA

Yeah, its not thr cv boot cause i replaced that the entire axle this weekend when it snapped, but when i was replacing it, i noticed the steering gear boot was torn (the one thats connected to the outer tie rod end) and i would want anything to snap there either. Has this happening to anyone or does anyone know the worst?

Backwoodz Tuner

Yeah you should probably replace it. It ain't too hard , jus use a ball joint separator or the correct sized pickle fork so you don't fuck up the rubber grease boot cover or the threads on the joint ,