Should I buy this integra?

RC2904

A few blocks from my house there has been a white 2nd gen 2 door integra that has never left the driveway for months. I checked with the owners today to see if it is possibly for sale. They informed me that they tried to drive it through high standing water and it killed the car. They havent really checked into the extent of the damage and just know that "it doesnt work". The owner is going to talk with their spouse about selling the car. I just wanted to know what is the extent of the damage that may have been caused and how much money would I be looking at to fix it worst case scenario? Also what would be a good amount to offer for it?

Man A

homewreker
its possible that the engine hydrolocked. my buddy recently went thru this. but he had a cold air intake so i can understand why. is their car stock? i would have the car inspected in and out. if anything your looking at a project car. i wouldnt expect to just fix the engine and drive off. either way if you do buy it dont pay over a couple hundred. every one will tell you to stay away but like i said it could be a project car for you. if your looking for a car to drive now yes STAY AWAY. and keep up the search. also if they sell it for letsay 2-5 hundred you could always buy it and part it out.

hondahead_dave

sht, 20? hell yea id buy it, it probably needs a new motor and if you are on here im sure your going to mod it, if it is cheap hop on it.

heykosal

Angkorian
Well it may be true that the engine got hydrolocked think about all the damage that has occured while it has just sat there. Like Dave said it'll most likely need a whole new engine and the chassis probably has a lot of rust.

So yeah, I'd stay away. Even if you wanted a project, buying that car would just be being headaches.

wite2nr

99% sure it would need a new engine. $200-$500 seems reasonable, but don't expect to drive it anytime soon.

Man A

homewreker
99% sure it would need a new engine. $200-$500 seems reasonable, but don't expect to drive it anytime soon.
exactly. like i said. and as far as rust, would that not depend on where he is? as far as snow/salt goes... shit but as i think of it you might have maybe moss growing lmao

i would still expect to change- brake pads, rotors, calipers at least. and what is "high standing water"? is it 3", 8", or 4ft???? did it sit in the water for 5min, 30min hours days?

like i said check it inside and out and underneath everywhere. but if your asking us you should find someone that is knowledgeable to join you.

RC2904

Ive been looking for an integra for months and here in oklahoma the cheapest one ive found was $3k for a 2nd gen because it ran like shit and needed work. Everything else is 4 to 6 grand. I just figure if I got this for <1k and then got a used engine and did a tuneup for <1k i would have a decent integra for half of what it would cost otherwise. Or I may want to spend the extra coin and see what kind of better engine I can drop in it anyway. I dont mind spending time working on it. If the body does have rust would there be any way to stop it from spreading? Like sand it off and fiberglass over any holes perhaps?

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
eek...no fiberglass. how you approach the repairs would depend on how bad the rust is, how much, and where it's all located. for minor surface rust on an open area, you could just sand, wire brush, and treat the metal. if there's going to be a lot of rust, i personally wouldn't buy the car.

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
bet you it needs more than an engine..I guarantee it has electrical problems as well. Buy it if you want, but its probably not worth the trouble