Rough running at low RPM (regardless of gear).

mattress67

Newbie here,

I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to my 88 Integra LS problem. 140K, low miles, but pretty worn all over.

Out of gear, engine revs great. When I start in first, below approx. 1500 rpm, car runs rough up until about 1500 rpm. If I jam on the gas, it would run even rougher. My technique is to just go easy on the gas until the engine gets out of the troubled range. Once I'm above the range, the engine runs smooth. But once I put it into second, third, forth, and fifth, (initially low RPM) it's the same thing. Once the RPM's get above 1500, it's as if a switch is turned on and the roughness disappears instantly. Obviously not an issue on the highway, but driving in the city is a nightmare. Also the RPM numbers are an estimate as the tach is inop. Need to check wires coming off dist. cap (found that answer!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

integraman123

well what exactly does it do when you say "runs rough" ,does it chatter coming out of first(does the whole front end shake bad comin out of first) cause if that tha case then its your clutch disk is completly worn down,ive got a 89 integra rs and it had the same problem (the whole front end felt like it was about to come apart when i would come outta first). but if thats not what it is ,tell me what exactly your experiencing when you say its running rough.Ive had ALOT!!!! with myn when i first got it but its just about completly mecanicly restored basicly iv had a shitload of problems with my 89 teg & fixed them myself, so i should be able to help you

mattress67

Thanks for the reply, you're right, I was not clear on my description of "running rough." Right now it's on it's second clutch. I experienced the loss of the first clutch over ten years ago (the car has been mostly in storage over the past five years), so I don't think that is the problem -- although it too isn't in the best shape.

When I say "rough" the sound comes right from the engine. Like a too rich mixture being fed. Acceleration is sluggish up until I hit that RPM threshold. If it were the clutch, just gunning the engine would get me through it but that doesn't happen. If I step on the pedal below the threshold the sluggishness gets worse. So like I said, during this range, I back off and let the car accelerate. Once the RPM hits the magic number, it races like a champ. I mean it could be the clutch, but it certainly doesn't behave like it did when the clutch went out years ago which was characterised by a lot of slippage (at low speed) and high RPM until the clutch "engaged." During the engagement, I remember that front end shudder you spoke of. Also my problem occurs in all gears, even forth and fifth.

Thanks!

master_tech

it sounds like the engine is misfiring under load. when was the last time the car had a tune up? ...spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributer cap and rotor. also check if the valve cover o-rings are not leaking

mattress67

Thanks

New valve cover gasket last month. In fact, the problem started to occur after the change which made me suspect the people who did the job. Since then, I've changed the air filter, spark plugs and fuel filter. I believe it's running a bit better, but could be all in my head. I don't drive the car very much, only about once a week as it is in another state. I'll repost the problem if it continues. Mainly I was just checking to see if it was something obvious to older Teg's.

mattress67

Spark Plug oddity

Another symptom. After I had the head gasket changed, now when the engine runs, the little covers on the spark plugs pop off. The engine continues to run fine, but I find it odd that these covers pop off. It is like air or something is leaking into the cylinder which houses the spark plugs. I can even watch it happen. While running in idle, I'll push them down, but they just pop off.

mattress67

Further research

Well, researching the popping spark plug covers directs me to take another look at the head gasket. The plugs are properly seated, so air is coming from some place, most likely the head gasket, which incidentally was just changed. With the spark plug covers not being properly seated, the gap between wire and plug increases. The voltage at high rpm is adequate to make the jump over the increased gap, but at low rpm, it just isn't enough, causing the engine to run rough.

My biggest problem is that I assumed the shop I took it to correctly changed the head gasket, a very simple task. Had I not been out of state at the time of the problem, I would have done it myself.

Any additional comments?

Last edited:

mayhem251

im having the same problems with my 89,when i bought it,it drove like a champ & now its putting along & sounding like a motorcycle..it takes off super slow,but if gas it & it hits the right rpm it takes off,but then again at high rpms it starts to bogg down again..its an 89 rs auto. with 189K & i havnt even put 200miles on it since ive had it & 150 of those miles are from driving it home from the dealer...

8689tegs

Well, researching the popping spark plug covers directs me to take another look at the head gasket. The plugs are properly seated, so air is coming from some place, most likely the head gasket, which incidentally was just changed. With the spark plug covers not being properly seated, the gap between wire and plug increases. The voltage at high rpm is adequate to make the jump over the increased gap, but at low rpm, it just isn't enough, causing the engine to run rough.

My biggest problem is that I assumed the shop I took it to correctly changed the head gasket, a very simple task. Had I not been out of state at the time of the problem, I would have done it myself.

Any additional comments?
My vote is it's not the HG.

I would look at the seals that are between the spark plug tubes and the valve cover. Although I've never had an issue like that with the plug boots (am I understanding you correctly?), that's the only place you could be getting air as long as the plugs are seated correctly which it sounds like they are. Do you see any oil seepage in bottom of the plug tubes?

Out of curiosity, what brand of plug wires are you using? I hate to sell a brand, but NGK HE48's are your best bet. Several of my Teg's they came with with different wires installed and I've had trouble with some brands like autolite and bosch with boots getting pulled free of the wires. Now I don't mess with them, just pick up a set of NGK's. They have a lifetime warranty and cost $42 at Rockauto + shipping.

Best of luck

87tegra

when i got my 87 it had the same thing wrong with it it pissed me off my problem was the connection to the coil it wasnt a correct connection pull the bun off and stick it in first and the the bun after