retracting rear brake piston

travisteg

is there a special way of getting the piston back for the rear brakes? i got the caliper off and i used a c clamp but i couldnt get it back. any suggestions?

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
there's a special tool that looks like this ( - ) that you stick in and twist the piston so it goes back. you can use a pry bar or a huge flat head and twist it, but be careful.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Try the proper piston compressor tool. .Iif it doesn't work crack the bleeder on the caliper and then do try it. Of course you will need to bleed that part of the brake system after that

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
They twist back in, only the front brake pistons go back in without twisting. Buying the real piston tool made by Honda to twist them back in is the way to go. I bought a cheap universal piece at a car parts store to do my rear brakes. None of the combinations worked very well at fitting onto the piston, but one way worked well enough to get the job done, but it was a big PITA.

speedin

The Transporter
TegSox said:
They twist back in, only the front brake pistons go back in without twisting. Buying the real piston tool made by Honda to twist them back in is the way to go. I bought a cheap universal piece at a car parts store to do my rear brakes. None of the combinations worked very well at fitting onto the piston, but one way worked well enough to get the job done, but it was a big PITA.
Yes. DONT force them in with C-clamps. They have to be screwed in. LOL, I used a screw driver! Just use the rod of the screw driver and turn it. Shure you dont get alot of degrees, but its free and easy!

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
yeah just use a screwdriver and use the shaft. you dont need any special tools when doing brakes trust me, i can bang out a full set in like 45 minutes.

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
travisteg said:
is there a special way of getting the piston back for the rear brakes? i got the caliper off and i used a c clamp but i couldnt get it back. any suggestions?
yes, they have to screw in....they make speacial tools that you can pick up at the local autozone for under 10 dollars.