Replaced Starter/battery Still Wont Start

96_LSVTEC

Hey guys i have a AT 96 integra with about 130k miles on it. About 3weeks ago I was driving home @ night and suddenly my rpms just started redlining but i was going nowhere, so i stopped turned the car off, then on put it in drive and pressed the gas and same thing happened it would just rev but go nowhere, so i called a towtruck took it home. Next morning i tried turning the car on and it was completely dead so i got a jump start everything went on xcept the engine wouldnt crank? so i went ahead and replaced the battery and starter installed it and it still doesnt crank...all it does it makes sum noise as if sumthing was spinning and its pretty loud, can anyone help me please i start a new job in about 2days and i need to get dis fixed!! sorry for the story but im anxious to fix this..

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
transmission? I don't think you needed to replace your starter. does is seem like the car is stuck in neutral? If your car isn't in park/doesn't know its in park it won't start.

someone said "maybe snapped tranny cable?"

96_LSVTEC

I was thinking tranny, but even if it was i would think the car would start still just wouldnt move anywhere. hmm.. stuck in neutral never thought about that..

nautica_t

yeah you're car would normally start, but if it all of a sudden started to redline, chances are your torque converter has gone bad.
but starting issues, might be another problem.
is the car cranking at least, but hesitant to turn over?

96_LSVTEC

uhmm, nop its not starting @ all. The only thing its doing its making dis spinning noise like "zzzzzzzzzzz" and it does dat when i turn the key no click just the noise...

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
if it sounds like a clicking noise, you have a bad ground on the battery, happened to me in the summer. not sure about the redline problem though, sorry

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Im with nautica check that torque converter out.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
96_LSVTEC said:
its making dis spinning noise like "zzzzzzzzzzz"
^^ Well that really helps with diagnosing the problem :lol:

As for the engine freely revving without accelerating, there is definitely something wrong in the tranny. Torque converter is the #1 suspect. Check the linkage as well. Hopefully it is not the gears in the tranny itself slipping. You would probably notice that sounds of that easily though with gear whine and what not. Have you recently flushed the tranny or changed the fluid? That can cause problems if you do it to a 100k mile tranny that has never had it done

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
96_LSVTEC said:
uhmm, nop its not starting @ all. The only thing its doing its making dis spinning noise like "zzzzzzzzzzz" and it does dat when i turn the key no click just the noise...
did the "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" start when you replaced the starter? If so, your starter isn't on right, that sound is your starter free reving. lol

GSratedR

Rated R
with the freely reving when your not on the gas i had a similar problem and when i changed out my throttlebody it fixed the reving problem but then again mine was reving from 800rpm to 2600 back and forth, not redline. just thought id share if its any help at all.:D

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
GSratedR said:
with the freely reving when your not on the gas i had a similar problem and when i changed out my throttlebody it fixed the reving problem but then again mine was reving from 800rpm to 2600 back and forth, not redline. just thought id share if its any help at all.:D
I bet you would have been fine if you cleaned your IACV and checked all your vaccuum lines. Much cheaper, but whatever works :D

96_LSVTEC

thnx guys for all ur help! i changed ground wire, sparkplugs and wires, dizzy cap, took the starter out and placed it back in place, but still wont do anything its still making the same noise as if the starter was just spinning and not grabbin the flywheel. Do u guys think i should give up N just take it to a shop and have them take a look @ it? or u guys got anymore suggestions ? =]

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
hmm... I dont know why it would be your spark side of things... did you test for spark before you went and replaced everything?

I guess we need more info... Is the engine turning over or is it just sound like an electric motor spinning?

96_LSVTEC

Kuchtaboy said:
hmm... I dont know why it would be your spark side of things... did you test for spark before you went and replaced everything?

I guess we need more info... Is the engine turning over or is it just sound like an electric motor spinning?
nope the engine does not turn over, yea it does sound like the electric motor is spinning from the starter...and its pretty loud. Well when i put the starter in i made sure it was all the way in atleast i think i did but ill check again ill take it out and put it back in...i hate dis =[ 3weekz without a car on the bus in the cold suxs =[ im just about ready to give up and tow it to a mechanic =[