quick question

racinfeend59

so when i start my car every morning it revs up to like 3,000RPM than drops to about 1,000....than repeats that til its warm (i live in oregon so yeah its kinda cold in the morning)
anyways it only happens for like 5minutes most and than it idles fine

i dont know what it is

any ideas?

Spody02

Name: Cody
its just the car warming up, once i turn my car on it idles up to 2 grand after 2 seconds drops to 1.5 grand then slowly goes down as it warms up

wite2nr

yes, is the car just warming up (my rpm holds at around 2500 and then slowly drops) or is it idle searching. usually if a car is idle searching then it does so after it has warmed up, so that leads me to believe that the car is just warming up.

tilegend

what he's describing is a little different than just regular warm-up.

if your idle is bouncing during cold starts then its the FITV thats the problem. it controls how much air is bypassed into the intake manifold during a cold start so that your engine can rev higher and its controlled by coolant temp.

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44386

STAYFIT

you may want to clean your IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) it runs off the coolant temp. takes it off you intake and clean it out if the screen looks damages or is some nasty shit comes out you should probly replace it.

master_tech

+3 fast idle thermal valve (fitv) that's where i would start

racinfeend59

what he's describing is a little different than just regular warm-up.

if your idle is bouncing during cold starts then its the FITV thats the problem. it controls how much air is bypassed into the intake manifold during a cold start so that your engine can rev higher and its controlled by coolant temp.

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44386

thanks alot man
thats what me and my dad were thinkin it might be but im headed out to try it now

D-MART90DA9

MY CAR IS A AUTOBOT
i would start with the IACV mine does the same thing try this one morning while its doing pop the hood and disconnect the IACV if it stops going up and down then thats ur porblem but if it dosnt then ur problem is elsewere.

shocker

no thats not gonna tell him whether or not thats his problem because the sensor being bad or dirty is whats causing the issue...unplugging it takes the sensor out of the loop there for causing it to continue doing it as if the sensor were bad or not there

D-MART90DA9

MY CAR IS A AUTOBOT
no thats not gonna tell him whether or not thats his problem because the sensor being bad or dirty is whats causing the issue...unplugging it takes the sensor out of the loop there for causing it to continue doing it as if the sensor were bad or not there
yes it will the sensor is coolant controled so once its warm and it keeps doing it unplug it nine times out of ten the valve is just stuck because of dirt but it will tell him. i do it at work and fixes the problem every time

Last edited:

Vanessa

is here for decoration.
That's normal. Always let your car "warm up" til it calms down (1,000 RPM's). That's how your transmission lasts :) My Integra had 199k miles on it when it got rear-ended and I'm pretty sure it would have lasted 300k miles if it would have had the chance...

D-MART90DA9

MY CAR IS A AUTOBOT
you have to do it before the idle settles or else its pointless to do is the sensor is bad the idle will drop if the idle keeps moving its a vacum leak. and if the sensor is messed up to a point its gona keep doing it all the time so it wont matter if the car is warm mine would do it all the time so i took it off sprayed it out with intake air cleaner it worked for about three days then i took it off and sprayed alot in there and let it soak for about an hour the i sprayed some more in so it had some in to keep it lubed so the dirt would clog back up and its worked every sense but if that dosnt work u will need a new sensor

Last edited: