questions about GSR and gas.

Wraith95GSR

so i have this GSR that i havent gone to pick up yet (but its paid for and ready for me to come get)

how well does it do as far as Regualr grade (89 octaine)? or does it require the Premium (93 octaine)?

heard things from a friend with a GSR (who swaped it for a GS, cause he wanted better gas milage, and what not)

just a wierd question, but just for the answers...

g3teg97

Super Moderator
For VTEC engines you must use premium gas only. If not the engine runs like crap. Rough idle, loss of power, probably a check engine light, etc.

You can use lower than 91 in the B18C(1 or 5), but be prepared for a loss in power.*

We just recently bought a 94 del Sol and it has the B16 in it. We've always used 93 octane or higher. I wouldn't even think about puttin less and 91 in it.

*Quote from TheGSRguy on TI

CHILD

all day all JDM
I use regular 89 octane in our 05 DC5-S and it runs really smooth. We keep up with our oil changes and everything and it performs just fine. premium is not needed, but its recommended on any sports car, or vehicle driven harder than your everyday back and forth commute

g3teg97

Super Moderator
CHILD said:
I use regular 89 octane in our 05 DC5-S and it runs really smooth. We keep up with our oil changes and everything and it performs just fine. premium is not needed, but its recommended on any sports car, or vehicle driven harder than your everyday back and forth commute
An Acura salesman told me that with the i-VTEC engines, you change your oil every 10k miles. I don't think that's true is it?

CHILD

all day all JDM
I changed mine right at 3 grand like normal people and it was already pretty dark. You technically can with any car, but why would you put your motor through that. :what:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
The GSR owners manual recommends 91 octane.

I've never heard of any car getting a CEL by using low octane gas :roll: Never heard of rough idle either, I think that would more likely be caused by no-name cheap gas rather thean low octane gas. Loss of power? Yeah, that's possible. The engine will detect knock and retard the timing, which will cause you power loss.

Last edited:

CHILD

all day all JDM
just like i said, recommends, not neccesary..............and its older cars that used to throw cel codes from low octane.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
When I say recommends, those are my words, not Honda's. I'm sorry, it looks like I misspoke.
When Honda puts "PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL ONLY" on the face of the speedometer, and again begind the gas cap door, I wouldn't classify that as a recommendation. Of course, putting in 87 isn't going to damage the engine, but performance will suffer, and done repeatedly over months or years can't be good for it.

Black94LS

Anti Rice, Yet anti JDM
putting 87 in ur Type S, cmon child, you seemd so wise, i hope you're right that it performs just as well, cuz Type S's deserve the best, it only costs like 3 dollars more to fill youre tank.

Regulator23

Black94LS said:
putting 87 in ur Type S, cmon child, you seemd so wise, i hope you're right that it performs just as well, cuz Type S's deserve the best, it only costs like 3 dollars more to fill youre tank.
where do you live? 3$ more hell nah, 26$ to fill up on 87, 34$ for 91...wayy more thand 3$ in the long run, we dont all have unlimited cash man... 87 or 89 will be fine, just do fuel treatment and 91 once a month

TougeRunner

Solid Snake kills himself
atleast put 89 in your car man, I'd go 93 octane, that's what I use. In the long run your engine will be cleaner and you have less chance of detonation.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Unless Bill Gates has a Teg and is visiting our site incognito, nobody here has unlimited cash. Do what's right for your car. Everybody here wants their car to make as much power as possible, right? That's something that using the right octane gas does for you.

CHILD

all day all JDM
oh BTW...i use high octane 93 for long road trips....but our daily commute to work is about a 5 minute drive (we live on a military base) so the 89 octane isn't hurting. plus we use 93 like every other tank anyway. and its a 10 dollar difference from 89 to 93 when the car is on E

(just thought i'd reply....its been awhile) lol

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Good call CHILD, that's what I used to do in my GSR before I built to high compression. Go back and forth between 93 and 89 to save some dough. I'd fill up on 93, then put in like $5-$10 bucks of 89, fill up on 93, ect....I'd always default towards 93. But now, with a 12:1 engine I have no choice but straight 93.