Project b20b/b16a1

9one6

JDM fo me
Okay well to start off, i have a 94 4dr gsr with a b20b swap. I'm pickin up a jdm b16a1 complete swap with a type r tranny. I'm debating if I should go b20 v-tec or just do the complete b16 swap and do a full build on it. I could jus swap heads every now and then but i don't wanna go through all that. This car is my daily driver and I wanna do what will last the longest but still pick up whenever I need it to. I jus need some feedback and thoughts from some of you guys who have that kind of expeirence. Most likely. I'm jus gonna rip out the b20 and build the b16. Let me know what you guys think, thanks...

g3teg97

Super Moderator
The B16 head on the B20 block would provide you with the most power, imo. But for daily driving use? I might just do the B16 full build. Although my mechanic has a daily driven LS/VTEC that runs low 13s. You're call.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Why do you have a b20 on th gsr??? think you sould put the head and tranny on the b20 block and be happy, its you daily drive so you wont have any issues with that set up unlees you drive at 8000 rpm all day long, sell your b16 bottom and with that get some forged rods for the b20 for some more insuranse

Last edited:

9one6

JDM fo me
cabezzzdb8 said:
Why do you have a b20 on th gsr??? think you sould put the head and tranny on the b20 block and be happy, its you daily drive so you wont have any issues with that set up unlees you drive at 8000 rpm all day long, sell your b16 bottom and with that get some forged rods for the b20 for some more insuranse
The reason there's a b20b in my gsr is because i traded a 92 prelude for the teg with the motor already in it. My prelude was just a huge headache with more problems than I could afford to fix. The guy who I traded blew the gsr motor and did the b20 swap

I know a couple people that had LS v-tec and they're recommending me not to do b20 v-tec because it'll just cause problems. I need to do the most reliable swap. I'm not a rich guy, if the motor blows over time, I'm screwed, so I want the most reliable and dependable motor in my car.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
9one6 said:
The reason there's a b20b in my gsr is because i traded a 92 prelude for the teg with the motor already in it. My prelude was just a huge headache with more problems than I could afford to fix. The guy who I traded blew the gsr motor and did the b20 swap

I know a couple people that had LS v-tec and they're recommending me not to do b20 v-tec because it'll just cause problems. I need to do the most reliable swap. I'm not a rich guy, if the motor blows over time, I'm screwed, so I want the most reliable and dependable motor in my car.
Yeah true the b20 has some issues with its desing, especcialy its oil scavenging problems at high rpm, but if you treat it right no problem, just like the ls/vtec problems, but if youre skeptical just put the b16 in and sell the block to teggyls hes looking for one of those :D

9one6

JDM fo me
I'm prolly just gonna throw the b16a1 in and build it up, I have a couple people intrested in buying my b20b, so I won't have any problems selling it. Thanks for the info guys.