PLEASE HELP! 89 Integra

jayoconnell

Okay so... Car will not start, nothing. I just bought it less than two weeks ago after it passed smog. I am heartbroken :cry:

Car was running okay, shaky start in the morning, but nothing out of the ordinary (it is an old car..). Went to start it up the next day & couldn't even get the lights to turn on. Jump start did absolutely nothing.. What is going on!!!?? I assume an electrical problem, a fuse maybe? I replaced a yellow 60A fusible link under hood (larger fuse) & tightened the connection to battery. Got a spark when connecting but still nothing.

Thinking of just replacing all fuses.
Any ideas? Please help & thank you for your time.

Last edited:

99TegLs

maybe the starter died? jump directly to the starter to see if it turns over, if not. there's your problem. also, grab an electrical meter before hand and check the voltage of your battery, it should read 14-15 volts

jayoconnell

I will try when I get my hands on a meter, I thought about the starter but there has been no sign of life in it, no lights come on.

FroggerIntegra

I had the same problem with mine same year had it only a month and it would take forever to start till it wouldn't start
I first check the Valve Cover Gasket which was old and leaked oil onto my spark plugs so it needed to be replaced and then noticed the spark plug wires were falling apart so I replaced those also tried the car and nothing jumped it and it worked so went and got a new battery cleaned the terminals and the car TRIED to live but wouldn't turn over so I finally replaced the starter and it runs like a champ now its been 7-8 months and not a problem with any of those parts, just investigate those parts a little bit and see what might need to be replaced, I spent about 200 bucks after getting the core credits back for the battery and starter, if you do get the VCG get it from autozone it comes complete with all the gaskets and new washers and nuts, oriely sells them all separately let me know how it goes.

mnlccl

Hello I have an 89 RS with the 1.6 since I got it i have been butting money into it so i can have a realiable car , my suguestion is check the ground wire that goes from the ground cover to the front core support because this is your main engine grounding, and if your battery is good it should get your lights going, grounding is very important