Pistons & Rods

TekBuDDy

Wassupp...i plann on boostin my car soon, and im wondering if i should change my pistons and rods??If so which ones should i get and how to tell whats a good compression rate..im looking for 260 whp-320whp
is that possibly??

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Very possible, i saw 240hp @ 6 psi on a LS. Stay around 9 for your compression ratio. CP, JE, SRP, Arias all make nice pistons. I planned on getting Eagle rods for my build up.

INTR2001

TekBuDDy said:
Wassupp...i plann on boostin my car soon, and im wondering if i should change my pistons and rods??If so which ones should i get and how to tell whats a good compression rate..im looking for 260 whp-320whp
is that possibly??
Honda Makes Great PISTONS AND RODS ALREADY MAN!!! you do not need to change those out.... the only thing you will need to do is upgrade your ECU because if you don't you can only boost your car to about 10-12 PSI.....You need to do this because your AIR FUEL RATIO is going to be way off since factory ECU's produce enough fuel for NA engine.... BTW, your gonna need to upgrade your Pressure regulator!

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
If you want to hit HP in the 320 range, you'll need to replace the pistons and rods. I'm not a boost guy so I couldn't recommend what brands to get since I've never used any FI parts. I believe you'll need to manipulate a/f no matter how little you'll be boosting, am I right on that guys?

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
For those kind of numbers you will need Hondata, neptunes or another engine management system. I wouldnt use stock parts for 300 hp, but I belive in overkill. Just remember they were made for half the horsepower you want. How many miles are on the car, you could probably do the turbo and rebuild the bottom later on. Do a compression test and if everything checks out go ahead and turbo it. Later on after the 6psi gets boring, build up the motor and shoot for the big numbers.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
You don't want to raise compression if your gonna boost, that's what either of those pistons will do.
In your B18B (with a stock headgasket):
USDM R pistons = 10.3:1
JDM R pistons = 10.8:1
Civic R pistons = 11.6:1

You want FI pistons for an FI engine.

JSPEC Ek9

- VeLoCiTy -
INTR2001 said:
Honda Makes Great PISTONS AND RODS ALREADY MAN!!! you do not need to change those out.... the only thing you will need to do is upgrade your ECU because if you don't you can only boost your car to about 10-12 PSI.....You need to do this because your AIR FUEL RATIO is going to be way off since factory ECU's produce enough fuel for NA engine.... BTW, your gonna need to upgrade your Pressure regulator!
:slap: you will blow you piston if you run over 12 PSI, you could just run at 8 PSI, and thats good enough if you don't want to spend money on pistons. and if your gonna upgrade your ecu maybe to redline at 8200RPM, i suggest you change your rodbolts, ARP sells em for cheap...because the LS rod bolts isn't made to withstand high RPMs......but just to be on the safe side, i would build the bottom end so that way you won't have to deal with any crap...

siscoke

in HCI (hot compact & import magazine) they did a banzai B16 blow out. they went as far as they could with only minor adjustments to the injectors and fuelpump and a good management system.

they also mention you dont always need lots of boost to make more power. they give the following example wich they prove on paper.

and i quote "where the T04B-V (smallest turbo) produced 271hp at 9.1PSI, the 57mil turbo (costum and bigger) produced 269hp at only 6psi. though due to the bigger turbo you lose a lil response rate oc.

the bigger turbo made 389hp at 14.4 psi where the smaller one made only 326hp.

and that was on a B16a witch has higher compression then a LS to what i recall.

the first thing that gives up is the factory cast pistonring (2 out of 4) @ 17.4psi and 422hp

having that said i bet u can safely run 280 to 300 hp with some propper ECU tuning and the right turbosetup.

though if you have the money you are always safer with some aftermarket low compression pistons ;)

greetz sis

(brands named above are indeed all of good quality for you goal)

P.S. hope ur getting some usefull info out of this. maybe also check a decent tuner in ur neighbourhood and or some good magazines for further info (i can recommend the latest issues of HCI cause they all handle a few pages on turbo, turbosetups, turbo efficiency etc etc.)

Last edited:

TekBuDDy

go0od lo0ks with the info..i wanna run like a t3/t4 turbo..i wanna run like 12s or 11s...tell u the the truth i dont know what i want anymore..i just think i might just get my stage 2 clutch with my 8 lb flywheel and go from there.

TekBuDDy

the other day i went to this performance shop and i was talkin to this guy and he was like i could run like 10 lbs of boost if i keep everything stock and get a thicker head gasket...is that true??

boosted_integ

get je pistons i would go with an 9:1 compression ratio and then i would get crower rods, and i would get darton sleeves you will for sure want to sleeve your block............ my darton sleeves can hold over 30psi of boost well worth it man

siscoke

i c u guys all talking about expensive products wich are indeed of good quality but not all necessary tbh. im not much of a mechanic or tuning expert but i do read alot and what i got from that is that you dont always need all the best parts and just put them under the hood and go. choose carefully and make things match not all parts have the same goal or dont always do good to your setup as long as they dont help other parts you already got (fe if u have a small turbo and run low boost its not necessary to get other rods and darton sleeves that can hold up to 30psi cause that wont help you shit unless you get a bigger turbo or higher psi levels) so get some parts that go togheter and then start building your block. just go look for urself (on the internet or some quality magazines like i told you) ppl here can give u some good brands but they cant tell you what would be best cause they dont know what your budget is, how far you want to push it and what parts you are able to get.

fe one says "that" piston and rods but the other one say you have to go with that particular small turbo cause it works so fine on his car... wrong cause u want need those pistons and rods with that small turbo.

greetz sis

UNDERGROUNDAUTO

Power

TekBuDDy said:
is that possibly??
you could safely make that much whp on a stock engine with a proper tune. but if you were to go beefer bottom end, I would recomend going with a good rod like crower, carillo, pauter, or manley (stay away from eagle or scat, they use cheap steel and are not toleranced as well either), good choice on pistons would be JE, SRP, CP, etc... just remember to measure everything to make sure it is within tolerance before attemping an engine build. I personally would never put a rotating assembly together without having it balanced by a competent machine shop first.
my 2cents for you
Dave